July 31 2022 Observations

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
DeepSolar64
Way More Fun to Share It!!

July 31 2022 Observations

Post by DeepSolar64 »

My session time was from 15:15 until 16:20 UTC. The skies were partly cloudy with fair/average seeing. The temperature was 78F ( 25.5C ). I had intended to image today using the Coronado SolarMax II 90 and Celestron 102 but we had family over with two really busy young children and I would have never been able to easily concentrate on my work so I ended up doing more familiar visual with the smaller instruments instead. It still was a challenging distraction with the two boys running around. Hopefully soon I will get to another imaging session.

Coronado SolarMax II 60 DS. 16x and 25x ( Ha )
I was able to see six regions in the Ha chromosphere today. Two in the northern hemisphere, none numbered and four in the southern hemisphere with three having official NOAA numbers.

A small plage is seen very near the limb in the NE quadrant. Well westward an easier plage is seen just east of the CLM. Two filaments are seen well to the SE of this plage. GONG BBSO Ha shows a couple of vague disturbances in the NW quadrant but I never noticed them at all and never looked for them in detail. I noticed them on the GONG image afterwards but they would have been a challenge if I would have been able to see them at all.

AR13068 is easily seen in the SE quadrant as two spots amid plage. Well to the SSE of AR13068 I see a nice easy filament that shows some detail. Smaller ones lie to it's east and west. A small unnumbered plage lies just across the CLM into the SW quadrant. Further west I can see a very small plage that is associated with AR13069. I would have never noticed this one casually, I had to look for it. AR13062 can be seen as a mere plage nearing the SW limb. A roundish filament is seen SE of it.

I notice prominences on the NE and SW limb. A bright prom with a long thin pointed snout points southward. It's attached to the disc at it's northern end. Another smaller dimmer one with a head bent south is to the north of the brighter one. Though faint in double stack I had no problem seeing proms on the SW limb. The southernmost one resembles a vague elongated bubble leaning north. Just north of the bubble lies a faint line of flame.

The mottles are easily seen across the Ha disc.

Orion 70mm Solar Telescope. 25x, 50x and 62.5x ( WL )
I could only see four regions on the WL photosphere today. One unnumbered in the northern hemisphere and three in the southern hemisphere with two being numbered.

The NE quadrant shows only single patch of faculae. SDOHMI continuum shows two tiny pores there but I cannot pick them out. I see nothing in the NW quadrant.

AR13068 is by far the easiest active region to see on the Sun in white light. At 62.5x I see two spots with both having penumbrae. The eastern spot has a double umbra and western spot has a break in it's penumbra east of it's single umbra. SDO high resolution images show two tiny pores within the gap in the penumbra. I cannot see them. I can see six pores between the two bigger spots. Two of these are only glimpsed. AR13062 is seen as a single spot in the SW end of a patch of faculae. SDO imagery shows structure in the highly inclined spot. I did not notice.

The fine granulation of the photosphere can be seen.

I hope everyone here has had a nice weekend.

James

GONGBBSOha+SDOHMIc_7-31-22.JPG
GONGBBSOha+SDOHMIc_7-31-22.JPG (124.93 KiB) Viewed 160 times

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars
Orion 70mm Solar Telescope
Celestron AstroMaster Alt/Az Mount
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 60 DS
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 90 DS
Meade Coronado AZS Alt/Az Mount
Astro-Tech AT72EDII with Altair solar wedge
Celestron NexStar 102GT with Altair solar wedge
Losmandy AZ8 Alt/Az Mount
Sky-Watcher AZGTI Alt-Az GoTo mount
Cameras: ZWO ASI178MM, PGR Grasshopper, PGR Flea
Lunt, Coronado, TeleVue, Orion and Meade eyepieces

Image Visual Observer
" Way more fun to see it! "
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Re: July 31 2022 Observations

Post by marktownley »

You got a good session and report in there James, despite your distractions! Sat here this Monday morning wondering whether the clouds will break for me today!

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
MAURITS

Post by MAURITS »

Thanks for the feedback James.

Regards,
Maurits

Vista del Cielo Observatory

www.vistadelcielo.be
DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

Thanks and good luck Mark.

You are welcome Maurits.

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars
Lunt, Coronado, TeleVue, Orion and Meade eyepieces

Image Visual Observer
" Way more fun to see it! "
Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

A great set of observations James, we did have a lovely weekend thank you, I hope you did as well and you survived the children :) :hamster:

Alexandra

DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

Thank you Alexandra. Many kids can be quite a challenge for me. I am a quiet loner type person and they often take me out of my comfort zone. I usually do much better with girls. They are typically calmer, more attentive and listen and behave better.

James

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars