August 3 2022 Observations. Nice NE Prominence!

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
DeepSolar64
Way More Fun to Share It!!

August 3 2022 Observations. Nice NE Prominence!

Post by DeepSolar64 »

Today I had a bit more going on here and had to multitask and couldn't devote the time to imaging so I chose to use the smaller scopes for visual instead. The large prominence on the NE limb was still well-seen though. My session time was from 15:30 until 16:43 UTC. Intermittent. The skies were partly cloudy at session beginning going to mostly cloudy by session's end. The seeing is certainly better than yesterday, go figure and the temperature is 81F ( 27.2C )

Coronado SolarMax II 60 DS. 16x, 25x and 33X ( Ha )
Today I see six active region plages in the Ha chromosphere. Three in the northern hemisphere with two of these being numbered systems. Three are seen in the southern hemisphere with two of these having NOAA numbers.

The first plage is a brightening beneath a bowed filament in the NE quadrant not far off the NE limb. It's not difficult to see. Another filament lies near the limb to the SE. Well west of this unnumbered region but still in the NE quad lies AR13070 which is visible as a small elongated plage with a triangle of three filaments to the north. The NW quadrant shows a single plage with a small thin filament just to it's NE. That plage belongs to AR13067.

AR13068 in the SW quadrant shows an easy spot with plage to it's east. To it's west I can just make out the tiny plage of AR13069. A line of broken filaments lies in the far S-SW. A new region is seen inside the SE limb. It's a single spot with an arc of plage to it's E-NE.

Several prominences are seen around the limb today. By far the most noticeable is the large elongated loop prominence on the NE limb. Much detail can be seen within it. I can see 4 sizeable voids just south of the center of the arch. Other smaller voids and striations can be seen as well. The prominence is bright and easy in doublestack. Just north of the large prom lies a much smaller one. The SE limb shows two prominences. The northernmost prom is a small one near a new active region just inside the SE limb. The southernmost one though tiny is an easily seen filaprom! The SW limb shows a fuzzy mottled fairly small prom. I see none on the NW limb.

The network of mottling is easily seen today across the solar chromosphere.

Orion 70mm Solar Telescope. 25x and 50x ( WL )
Today I see only four regions on the WLC photosphere. Two in the NE quadrant bearing no numbers and two in the southern hemisphere with one of these bearing a number.

The NE quadrant shows a sizeable patch of faculae marking an area where plage was seen in Ha. Much more difficult and barely seen is a tiny facula seen near the western limb just above the equator. Of low contrast it was hard to make out and I would have never causally noticed it if I hadn't been looking for it. A wedge equipped scope would have probably made it easier to see.

AR13068 in the SW quadrant is by far the most significant active region on the disc. I can see 18 spots/pores in the group but that is with some uncertainty due to the tiny size of some of the pores and the seeing. The single westernmost spot leads the group and shows an easy umbra and penumbra. A slight bit of mottling is hinted at in the penumbra. A single structured spot is seen inside the SE limb that is surrounded by faculae. SDO high resolution continuum imagery shows a pore very close to the NE of the larger spot and a light bridge in the SE side of it's umbra. I noticed neither.

The granulation is seen but is not overly apparent.

Carpe Lumen!

James

GONGBigBearCA_Ha_8-3-22.jpg
GONGBigBearCA_Ha_8-3-22.jpg (413.46 KiB) Viewed 134 times
latest_1024_HMIIF.jpg
latest_1024_HMIIF.jpg (308.17 KiB) Viewed 134 times
Last edited by DeepSolar64 on Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars
Orion 70mm Solar Telescope
Celestron AstroMaster Alt/Az Mount
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 60 DS
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 90 DS
Meade Coronado AZS Alt/Az Mount
Astro-Tech AT72EDII with Altair solar wedge
Celestron NexStar 102GT with Altair solar wedge
Losmandy AZ8 Alt/Az Mount
Sky-Watcher AZGTI Alt-Az GoTo mount
Cameras: ZWO ASI178MM, PGR Grasshopper, PGR Flea
Lunt, Coronado, TeleVue, Orion and Meade eyepieces

Image Visual Observer
" Way more fun to see it! "
rigel123

Re: August 3 2022 Observations. Nice NE Prominence!

Post by rigel123 »

Nice report James, I actually even took a peek after capturing the animation of that big prom. It is beautiful visually!

Warren

Lunt LS60T DS
Orion ED80T CF
Meade ETX LS6
Lunt CaK BF1200
Lunt WL Wedge
Baader Photographic Film
ASI174MM
Skyris 236M
Player One Saturn-M SQR

https://www.astrobin.com/users/rigel123/
DeepSolar64

Re: August 3 2022 Observations. Nice NE Prominence!

Post by DeepSolar64 »

Thanks Warren. I hope to view the big prom again today but so far it’s cloudy.

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars
Orion 70mm Solar Telescope
Celestron AstroMaster Alt/Az Mount
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 60 DS
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 90 DS
Meade Coronado AZS Alt/Az Mount
Astro-Tech AT72EDII with Altair solar wedge
Celestron NexStar 102GT with Altair solar wedge
Losmandy AZ8 Alt/Az Mount
Sky-Watcher AZGTI Alt-Az GoTo mount
Cameras: ZWO ASI178MM, PGR Grasshopper, PGR Flea
Lunt, Coronado, TeleVue, Orion and Meade eyepieces