August 13 2022 Observations. Busy Sun!

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
DeepSolar64
Way More Fun to Share It!!

August 13 2022 Observations. Busy Sun!

Post by DeepSolar64 »

My session was between 14:17 and 15:10 UTC. The sky was partly cloudy with well above average seeing! The temperature was a cooler and less humid 72F ( 22.2C ). There was a pleasant breeze.

Just after the session I had to pack up and leave for my daughter's in Weaverville NC and did not get back until late so I have to post the data here late from my notes taken at the telescope and using the GONG and SDO images for reference that I saved from that time. I hate posting late because my memory becomes less reliable. Anyway...

Coronado SolarMax II 60 DS. 16x, 25x, 33x and 50x ( Ha )
Today I can see 12 regions in the Ha chromosphere!! Five in the northern hemisphere with four bearing numbers in the SWL & SM SDO images. and seven in the southern hemisphere. SWL & SM shows five of these with NOAA numbers.

The NE quadrant shows a bright oval plage. Two filaments lie to the NE of it and an easily seen crescent shaped broken filament is seen west of it. The GONG CT Ha images show spots but if I saw them I did not record them in my notes and I don't remember seeing them. This plage belongs to AR13081. Further west close to the CLM lies AR13076. I see it as a scattered plage with an easy dark eyebrow shaped filament north of it. The spots can be seen. GONG shows some fine filaments but I did not record them. They would have pushed the limits of the 60 if they were visible. North of AR13076 lies a thin broken filament and further NE lies a couple of easy darker filaments near the limb. Just NW of AR13076 lies the fainter scattered plage of AR13075. It's not difficult to see. AR13080 lies in the far NW quad and can be seen as a small plage. West of it lies another disturbance which was hard to see and was the last thing I looked for at session's end. If I saw the filament just to it's west I didn't record it. :-(

The SW quadrant is alight with activity! Four active regions reside here and a nice collection of filaments. AR13071 is seen near the SW limb as a spot and slight plage. The easier plage of AR13077 lies just to it's east. East of AR13077 across a filament lies AR13074. It's a spot within scattered plage and is not hard to see. Two nice filaments run SW of it and SE of it running parallel to one another. As I suspected yesterday another patch of plage and spots NE of AR13074 turns out to be a separate system now labeled as AR13079. It's visible as a bright scattered plage with two spots at it's NE side. A large easy filament that resembles a distorted backward oriented number 3 lies ESE across the CLM from the AR13074/79 complex. Just east of this filament lies AR13078 with it's spot and small plage. GONG CT shows two spots but I have recorded only one. GONG shows tiny filaments here too. Two more areas of plage lie near the SE limb with the brighter one being close to the limb and a harder to see one being just NW of it with a couple of filaments.

Even in DS I could see most if not all the proms as shown in the GONG Ha images. I remember noticing the shapes of many of them but did not type anything down on them. I do remember the SE one reminding me of some type of critter crawling around on the Sun. I'll let the attached GONG CT Ha image give more info on today's prominences.

The mottles of the chromosphere are easily seen today.

Orion 70mm Solar Telescope. 25x, 50x, 62.5x and 100x ( WL )
I can see ten active regions on the WLC photosphere today! Four in the northern hemisphere with three having numbers and six in the southern hemisphere with five having numbers. I viewed the Sun in white light early in the session to get the best seeing possible on the spots.

I can see AR13081 in the NE quadrant as a grouping of four spots and several other small pores. The largest spot shows an easy penumbra. Faculae can be seen trailing the group nearly to the limb. Just across the Central Longitudinal Meridian I can see AR13076 as a tri-lobed grouping of spots. The largest spot to the south shows a fragmented umbra that shares a common penumbra and that penumbra looks as if it may be trying to come apart. Smaller additional spots lie just to the NE and NW. SDO high resolution 4K images show a tiny pore to the SSW of the main spot. AR13080 in the NW quadrant is visible only as two tiny spots. A patch of faculae is seen nearing the limb NW of AR13080.

The SW quadrant shows the structured spot of AR13071 nearing the limb. It's fairly small but easily seen. Faculae is seen east of it that contains a single tiny pore. This is AR13077. Further east lies the single well formed spot of AR13074. I can see some irregularities at the umbral edge at 100x and a bit of mottling to the penumbra. The spot is oval in shape. Just NE of AR13074 lies the now labelled AR13079. It shows 4 spots with some tiny pores between them. The largest spot has a penumbra that shows mottling easier than it's nearby companion in AR13074 but the umbra looks bisected tattered and frayed. AR13078 in the SE quadrant shows itself only as a single spot with a pore due south. The spot has a double umbra surrounded by a penumbra. I can see a patch of faculae near the SE limb. I see no spot or pores within it.

The fine granulation is easily detected by eye but there is no hint of the individual granules being seen with this small aperture.

Carpe Noctem!

James

GONGha+SDOHMIc_8-13-22.JPG
GONGha+SDOHMIc_8-13-22.JPG (146.03 KiB) Viewed 204 times

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars
Orion 70mm Solar Telescope
Celestron AstroMaster Alt/Az Mount
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 60 DS
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 90 DS
Meade Coronado AZS Alt/Az Mount
Astro-Tech AT72EDII with Altair solar wedge
Celestron NexStar 102GT with Altair solar wedge
Losmandy AZ8 Alt/Az Mount
Sky-Watcher AZGTI Alt-Az GoTo mount
Cameras: ZWO ASI178MM, PGR Grasshopper, PGR Flea
Lunt, Coronado, TeleVue, Orion and Meade eyepieces

Image Visual Observer
" Way more fun to see it! "
Carbon60

Re: August 13 2022 Observations. Busy Sun!

Post by Carbon60 »

A nice, detailed, report, James.

Stu.

H-alpha, WL and Ca II K imaging kit for various image scales.
Fluxgate Magnetometers (1s and 150s Cadence).
Radio meteor detector.
More images at http://www.flickr.com/photos/solarcarbon60/
DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

Thank you Stuart. It's my bedtime. Goodnight and good morning to you.

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars

Image Visual Observer
" Way more fun to see it! "
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Sounds like a busy day James, you got a nice viewing and report in though!

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
MAURITS

Post by MAURITS »

Thanks for the report James.

Regards,
Maurits

Vista del Cielo Observatory

www.vistadelcielo.be
DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

You are welcome everyone. I am hoping for an imaging session today if time allows and the clouds stay away.

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars