ASI 178mm camera for FD Quark chromo (Reducer)

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
Radon86
Almost There...
Almost There...

ASI 178mm camera for FD Quark chromo (Reducer)

Post by Radon86 »

Hi,
I have attempted Full disc in a single exposure frame with a Quark chromosphere and applied a focal reducer, I think the total reduction is about 0.4x, making the Focal ratio about (F6 telescope x 4.2 (Quark) x 0.4)=Focal ratio 9.6. Camera : ASI 174mm (pixel size 5.86 microns).

I looked at Arne Full disc with his ASI 178mm and Coronado 60mm telescope and wondered if I would get a better sampling sensor with 2.4micron pixels with the ASI 178mm (I think ASI 183mm has same pixel size, larger sensor, more expensive x2).

Would anyone agree ?
I asked First Light Optics, the camera is not available yet, may take 1-2 weeks.

Is it worth it to buy the ASI 178mm. I could also use it for Planetary imaging with my F5 reflector.

Many thanks.

Magnus

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Re: ASI 178mm camera for FD Quark chromo (Reducer)

Post by marktownley »

Hi Magnus.

Have you measured the reduction factor or just assuming is 0.4

Are you sure it's going to give a fd on the 178? I think you will need a 2 pane mosaic.

Mark

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
Radon86
Almost There...
Almost There...

Re: ASI 178mm camera for FD Quark chromo (Reducer)

Post by Radon86 »

marktownley wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:23 pm Hi Magnus.

Have you measured the reduction factor or just assuming is 0.4

Are you sure it's going to give a fd on the 178? I think you will need a 2 pane mosaic.

Mark
Hi Mark,
Yes I agree it will be a 2 pane mosaic. The ASI 183mm would be larger and do a full disc more easily.
I think I estimated the focal reduction I was getting for my reduction for FD on the ASI 174mm was about 0.4 (I can change this by adjusting the sensor-focal reducer distance).

Thanks Mark