September 17 2022 Observations

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
DeepSolar64
Way More Fun to Share It!!

September 17 2022 Observations

Post by DeepSolar64 »

Session time was from 14:51 until 15:52 UTC. The skies were partly cloudy with increasing cloudiness. The seeing was fair/average at session beginning but rapidly fell to poor by session's end. The temperature was 72F ( 22.2C ) mid-session. I observed the photosphere first.

Celestron NexStar 102GT w/Altair wedge and Baader 540nm filter. 55x and 110x ( WL )
I could see six active regions on the 540nm photosphere today. Three in the NW quadrant with one numbered and three in the southern hemisphere with all three of those being labeled.

AR13098 is visible in the NW quadrant nearing the limb. I see it as faculae without spot or pore. Well SE of AR13098 I see a single large pore. Well NE of AR13098 I can make out another small patch of faculae. I see nothing in the NE quadrant.

AR13100 appears as a string of spots and pores in the SW quadrant. The westernmost spot is large and oval. It's umbra shows a light bridge cutting it in half. Mottling is easy in the penumbra and I can hint the fibrils. The uneven edge of the penumbra can be seen during moments of better seeing. A deep gap is seen in the SE side of the penumbra. Just east of this spot are two lines of smaller spots showing some with fused penumbrae. East still is a smattering of pores. NE of AR13100 lies AR13103. It's seen as a grouping of small spots and pores. A tighter group marks the western part of the region with two dominating but still small spots. East of these lie two somewhat larger small spots with a couple of more small pores. AR13012 is probably the best spot group on the disc. I can see two nice spots at the group's western side. One has a light bridged umbra with the bridge cutting into it's northern side. The penumbra does not surround the spot completely but ifs fan-shaped. A second elongated spot is seen south of this larger spot. SDO shows a trace of penumbra to it's south. I did not notice it. The second of the western spots shows a ragged umbra being off-center in it's penumbra. I can see a small light spot in the SE part of it's penumbra near a tiny embedded pore. Tow larger pores lie to the east and NNE. Both of these large spots show raying ( fibrils ) and an uneven jagged penumbral edge during better seeing moments. More spots and pores lies ENE of these larger spots. The largest and easternmost of these shows a fan-shaped penumbra that circles two-thirds of the umbra.

I come just short of being able to make out individual granules though the overall granulation itself is easily seen.

Coronado SolarMax II 90. SS & DS. 32x and 50x ( Ha )
I can see seven active regions in the Ha chromosphere today. Three in the northern hemisphere with one of these being numbered. Four are visible in the southern hemisphere with three of these systems bearing number labels.

Southeast of a question-mark shaped filament in the NE quadrant I see a low contrast disturbance. Not much amounts to it. Another filament is noticed to the NNW of the questionmark. Three more filaments are noticed in the NW quadrant and to the south of those lies another low contrast plage. NW of these lies an easier plage with an embedded filament near the NW limb. This is AR13098.

Two active regions lie in the SW quadrant. AR13011 is the westernmost of these. It shows a spot at it's western terminus with plage flowing eastward. This is well shown on the GONG CTIO image. A curved line of plage runs north of this region. It may be a new developing system. Filaments lie scattered about. Nothing sizeable though. AR13013 shows itself as scattered plage NE of AR13011. AR13012 in the SE quadrant is easily seen as three spots and bright plage. A thin filament bisects the plage and appears to continue eastward outside the plage toward a easy filament to the east. A small unnumbered plage is seen NE of AR13012. The disturbance field around AR13012 can be seen visually and is really easily seen on the GONG CTIO Ha image. Two more vague filaments are seen not far off the eastern limb.

I can see all of the prominences seen on the GONG CTIO Ha image in single-stack. I pay close attention to the NW limb where an M-Class flare erupted just before my session. All I saw was some small spiked surge proms. I was hoping for some nice loops! The SW limb showed a diffuse smoky thin prom above the surface. Visually it closely resembles what the GONG image shows.

The mottles are seen across the solar disc. By session's end the limb was shimmering in waves due to the poor seeing and the blurring of disc details was noticeable.

Carpe Noctem!

James

P.S. I am also attaching the last weeks GONG GIF showing the solar rotation for that time.

GONGCerroTololoChile_Ha_9-17-22.jpg
GONGCerroTololoChile_Ha_9-17-22.jpg (533.17 KiB) Viewed 177 times
f_HMI_cont_aiascale.jpg
f_HMI_cont_aiascale.jpg (925.17 KiB) Viewed 177 times
SolarRotation_GONGCTIO_ha_9-11-17-22_JP.gif
SolarRotation_GONGCTIO_ha_9-11-17-22_JP.gif (3.89 MiB) Viewed 177 times

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars
Orion 70mm Solar Telescope
Celestron AstroMaster Alt/Az Mount
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 60 DS
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 90 DS
Meade Coronado AZS Alt/Az Mount
Astro-Tech AT72EDII with Altair solar wedge
Celestron NexStar 102GT with Altair solar wedge
Losmandy AZ8 Alt/Az Mount
Sky-Watcher AZGTI Alt-Az GoTo mount
Cameras: ZWO ASI178MM, PGR Grasshopper, PGR Flea
Lunt, Coronado, TeleVue, Orion and Meade eyepieces

Image Visual Observer
" Way more fun to see it! "
Carbon60

Re: September 17 2022 Observations

Post by Carbon60 »

Another interesting and detailed report, James. Thank you.

Stu.

H-alpha, WL and Ca II K imaging kit for various image scales.
Fluxgate Magnetometers (1s and 150s Cadence).
Radio meteor detector.
More images at http://www.flickr.com/photos/solarcarbon60/
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

You got a good hour in there james!

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

Thanks and welcomes Stu and Mark.

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars
Orion 70mm Solar Telescope
Celestron AstroMaster Alt/Az Mount
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 60 DS
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 90 DS
Meade Coronado AZS Alt/Az Mount