SHG software release version 4.3

I LOVE finding out about different ways to appreciate the Sun and light in general. Use this forum to post your info or questions about various outside the mainstream ways to appreciate our life giving star!
thesmiths
Almost There...
Almost There...

SHG software release version 4.3

Post by thesmiths »

Last edited by thesmiths on Mon Sep 25, 2023 7:57 pm, edited 10 times in total.

highfnum
Way More Fun to Share It!!
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Re: SHG software release version 3.6

Post by highfnum »

nice

Bastelhannes
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Re: SHG software release version 3.6.1

Post by Bastelhannes »

great news!

My greatest fear is being married alive.
thesmiths
Almost There...
Almost There...

Re: SHG software release version 3.6.2

Post by thesmiths »

I had a message from one user that to run the .exe version on his computer he needed to "Run as Administrator" the first time. This is not an uncommon issue with Windows and probably depends on the security settings on your computer (high, low, medium). I never saw this happen with any of the computers I tested the .exe file on, but it's certainly something to keep in mind.

I'm guessing that this might happen if you run the file from a location a user does not by default have full permissions (e.g. C:\). It's better practice to download to (and run from) a user owned location (e.g. C:\Users\douglas\Downloads or C:\Users\douglas\Documents or C:\Users\douglas\Desktop).

There is actually a "hidden" Windows Administrator account and I'm guessing certain directories in C:\ belong by default to that account.

I often move and run downloaded files from a different disk (e.g. D:\FireCapture_v2.7) to avoid such issues. A secondary disk typically does not "belong to anyone" so there are no permission issues.

thesmiths
Almost There...
Almost There...

Re: SHG software release version 3.7

Post by thesmiths »

It was noticed by a user that an earlier version of the .exe file was considered a Trojan by AVG and AVAST. After some research on the topic, it turns out this is a false positive and triggered by having used an image of the sun as the icon for the application (!). So for the most recent version 3.7, the executable uses the default system icon and now passes all 65 tests using VirusTotal.

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Re: SHG software release version 3.7

Post by marktownley »

Thanks for your work and updates on this Douglas.

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
thesmiths
Almost There...
Almost There...

Re: SHG software release version 3.8

Post by thesmiths »

We've released a slightly updated version of our SHG processing software (the previous version was from November 2022). It address a few minor issues. I have edited the first post at the top with a link to the newest description in the Solar Software section.

thesmiths
Almost There...
Almost There...

Re: SHG software release version 4.0

Post by thesmiths »

We have just released a new version which includes multilanguage support and multithreading. Thanks for Jean-Francois, Pedro, Fulvio and Valery for checking the translations, which were done in a batch process using ChatGPT. There were only a few minor errors in the automatic translation of the program, which is rather impressive.

thesmiths
Almost There...
Almost There...

Re: SHG software release version 4.1

Post by thesmiths »

Among the new features is a "continuous detect " or "live view" mode. If "Continuous detect mode" is selected, the program will process all the files already in the input folder then wait until a new file arrives, at which point it will also be processed. A 600x600 pixel CLAHE image of the last file processed will be displayed while the program is waiting for the arrival of new data. If "Continuous detect mode" is on, then generally "Show graphics" should be off. A demonstration of "continuous mode" is shown below.

thesmiths
Almost There...
Almost There...

Re: SHG software release version 4.2

Post by thesmiths »

We've made a major feature addition in the new v4.2 -- we call it "Pixel Offset Live". It allows a more interactive way to do pixel shifts, for example to examine features in the wings of the H-alpha line (shown below). The recalculation takes only one or two seconds, so is almost in real time.

We have also installed a built-in database of all the solar lines from 3000 angstroms to 1 micron (based on the Université de Liège Photometric Atlas of the Solar Spectrum). This allows an accurate automatic calculation of the dispersion. Another application is an automated method to image the emission line Helium.

For a full description of the new feature see: viewtopic.php?t=42119

H-alpha pixel offset.JPG
H-alpha pixel offset.JPG (179.17 KiB) Viewed 9407 times

thesmiths
Almost There...
Almost There...

Re: SHG software release version 4.3

Post by thesmiths »

Version 4.3 of the SHG reconstruction software has a number of small feature additions. The most significant one is "de-vignette". An example of this function is show below. Left: strong vignetting, particularly on the right side. Right: with de-vignette.

For a full description of the new features see: viewtopic.php?t=42698