September 28 2022 Observations

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
DeepSolar64
Way More Fun to Share It!!

September 28 2022 Observations

Post by DeepSolar64 »

My session time is from 14:33 until 15:35 UTC. The skies are mostly clear except for some high clouds to the south and southeast that foretell an approaching tropical system ( Ian ). The seeing is well below average and the temperature mid-session is a rather cool 56F ( 13.3C ). Autumn has finally found the southern Appalachians.

Coronado SolarMax II 60 DS. 16x, 25x and 33x ( Ha )
Today I have gotten seven active regions in the Ha Chromosphere. Four in the northern hemisphere with two being numbered systems ( SWL ). Three are seen in the southern hemisphere with all three of these shown as numbered systems ( KSO ).

AR13111 is visible mostly by it's spot in the far NE quadrant. A plage is visible to it's NW which I believe to be a separate system. Not sure on that though. AR13110 is seen further SW as a spot amid plage. A bowed filament can be seen ENE of the spot. A tiny plage can be seen in the NW quadrant. A filament is noticed NE of it and the high northwest shows an incomplete polar crown. More like a polar tiara!

The SW quadrant shows three active regions! A small plage is seen nearing the SW limb. 33x reveals a small filament south of it. It's AR13108. To it's east lies the much larger AR13105 which is seen as a bright plage with a single difficult filament. ESE of AR13105 lies it's even larger neighbor, AR13107. I see it as a spot in the SW corner of a large scattered plage. The SE quadrant shows no visible active regions but does show several nice filaments. One broken filament is really dark and easy even in this poor seeing.

Even in doublestack I can see all of the prominences shown on the GONG CTIO Ha image. The feathery ones on the SW limb is the only ones I really concentrated on though.

The disc-wide mottles are easily seen but are softened by the seeing.

Orion 70mm Solar Telescope. 25x, 31x and 50x ( WL )
Six regions of activity are visible on the continuum photosphere today. Two in the northern hemisphere, both numbered ( SWL ) and four in the southern hemisphere with three being numbered ( KSO ). The seeing is trashing fine details in white light today :-(

AR13111 is visible in the far NE as a spot with faculae stretching NE to the limb. AR13110 is visible further SW as a large spot with visible umbra and penumbra with a cloud of pores to it's east. I cannot cleanly see the individual pores. I see nothing in the NW quadrant.

I can see the facula of AR13108 near the SW limb. AR13105 to it's east is visible as a couple of spots with three barely glimpsed pores seen between them in moments of better seeing. AR13107 further SE is seen as three spots with difficult pores eastward. The umbrae of two of these spots can be seen in moments of better seeing. A patch of faculae is seen with difficulty near the SE limb.

The granulation of the disc is not even noticed today. Wiped out by the bad seeing.

Carpe Lumen!

James

GONGCerroTololoChile_Ha_9-28-22.jpg
GONGCerroTololoChile_Ha_9-28-22.jpg (465.37 KiB) Viewed 190 times
SDO_HMIIF_1024_SWL_9-28-22.jpg
SDO_HMIIF_1024_SWL_9-28-22.jpg (104.63 KiB) Viewed 190 times
KSO_CaK_9-28-22.jpg
KSO_CaK_9-28-22.jpg (197.32 KiB) Viewed 190 times

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars
Orion 70mm Solar Telescope
Celestron AstroMaster Alt/Az Mount
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 60 DS
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 90 DS
Meade Coronado AZS Alt/Az Mount
Astro-Tech AT72EDII with Altair solar wedge
Celestron NexStar 102GT with Altair solar wedge
Losmandy AZ8 Alt/Az Mount
Sky-Watcher AZGTI Alt-Az GoTo mount
Cameras: ZWO ASI178MM, PGR Grasshopper, PGR Flea
Lunt, Coronado, TeleVue, Orion and Meade eyepieces

Image Visual Observer
" Way more fun to see it! "
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Re: September 28 2022 Observations

Post by marktownley »

A good hour and nice report James, hopefully there will be blue skies for me this weekend.

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

Good luck Mark. It's drizzling here as I type this and overcast. We'll have tropical system Ian moving through the southeast US tonight with heavy rain and high winds. It hit Florida with high winds, heavy rain and heavy storm surges especially on the SW side of the peninsula. I hope Marty Wise is ok. It was a Category 4 hurricane when it hit SW Florida. The storm crossed Florida and moved back out to sea ( Atlantic ) and is now turning back inland around Charleston S.C. and will move up through S.C. and central N.C. as it tracks northward. I'll get no direct solar observations today and Slooh Teide is even down, probably weather related there too but not hurricane related. So today it's GONG and SDO to save the day. Observations for the weekend doesn't look that great either.

James

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars
Lunt, Coronado, TeleVue, Orion and Meade eyepieces

Image Visual Observer
" Way more fun to see it! "
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

I've been keeping an eye on the weather down Florida way, it's not good. Today should be clear skies here hopefully, I have to go up to the boat to replace a failed gasket on the engine (failed when we were on it at the end of August, fortunately I could pour the leaking oil back in faster than it was running out, so was only a headache rather than a problem at the time ;) ) I have a ISS transit this afternoon, so hopefully conditions will hold out for me for that.

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

marktownley wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 5:35 am I've been keeping an eye on the weather down Florida way, it's not good. Today should be clear skies here hopefully, I have to go up to the boat to replace a failed gasket on the engine (failed when we were on it at the end of August, fortunately I could pour the leaking oil back in faster than it was running out, so was only a headache rather than a problem at the time ;) ) I have a ISS transit this afternoon, so hopefully conditions will hold out for me for that.
Good luck on the ISS transit Mark.

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars