AR3112 Monster Active Region | Cont & HA | Oct 3rd 2022

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
MalVeauX
Way More Fun to Share It!!

AR3112 Monster Active Region | Cont & HA | Oct 3rd 2022

Post by MalVeauX »

Heya,

Despite the nasty weather we have had in Florida lately, today was a clear day post-storm but my seeing conditions were not great. The weather is suddenly chilly (30 degrees less than normal!) post hurricane Ian. So now it's in the 60's F and sunny and clear, a total turn of weather compared to the wet cloudy mess that our summer has been. I think I got out 2 or 3 times max this whole summer in 3 months so far? Awful. Anyhow, hopefully anyone down south in Florida that were greatly affected by hurricane Ian are safe. I'm North of that area on the West coast where the original trajectory was heading, but managed to get missed as it headed farther East.

AR3112 is a huge active region, instead of two regions (like AR3113 & AR3110 together) making it one of the biggest single active regions in quite a while. There's more trailing it too, as I watched surge proms and there was a CME back there a few days ago with loops. This region may be one to watch for activity. It was throwing some minor flares around this morning around 0930~1030 Eastern Time when I was viewing. Captured today in 540nm continuum and Halpha from a 150mm refractor. Seeing was not great, my seeing tends to suffer with rapid deltas into cooler weather as the fall approaches, but managed to get data to work with thanks to persistent lucky imaging.

Seeing Conditions:

Seeing was poor, had to really rely on lucky imaging this morning for this image scale.

SeeingConditions_10032022.jpg
SeeingConditions_10032022.jpg (109.36 KiB) Viewed 399 times

Equipment:

150mm F8 achromatic doublet refractor

-> Baader Ceramic Cool Wedge -> ND3.0 -> Continuum 540nm -> 1.6x barlow -> IMX290 sensor (Photosphere)

-> Aries 214mm Triband DERF in 3D printed cell masked to 150mm -> Baader Red CCD IR Block -> HA Etalon 1 -> 10mm BF -> Baader TZ4 Telecentric -> HA Etalon 2 -> 0.6x reducer -> IMX174 sensor (Halpha)

SolarSetup_10032022.jpg
SolarSetup_10032022.jpg (201.1 KiB) Viewed 399 times

And a big frog that has been slurping up observatory bugs over the wet summer.

Very best,

ffellah

Re: AR3112 Monster Active Region | Cont & HA | Oct 3rd 2022

Post by ffellah »

Fantastic shots of the monster, Marty !

Franco

rigel123

Post by rigel123 »

Great shots!

Warren

Lunt LS60T DS
Orion ED80T CF
Meade ETX LS6
Lunt CaK BF1200
Lunt WL Wedge
Baader Photographic Film
ASI174MM
Skyris 236M
Player One Saturn-M SQR

https://www.astrobin.com/users/rigel123/
Jordan Konisky
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by Jordan Konisky »

Nice set of images today. Always interesting and informative to see the accompanying SSM chart.

Jordan -
SkyWatcher ED100 Refractor with Diamond Steeltrack Crawford Focuser
Celestron CG4 Equatorial Mount
Daystar Quark H-Alpha Chromosphere
Lunt CaK B1800 Filter Module
Lunt White Light Solar Wedge
ZWO ASI174MM, ZWOASI1600MM Cameras
MalVeauX

Post by MalVeauX »

Jordan Konisky wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:50 pm Always interesting and informative to see the accompanying SSM chart.
It's interesting, but it greatly depends on what context is involved. These metrics are not completely accurate, but they're highly correlated with actual good seeing. That said, again context matters a ton. If you look at the graph, its about 50 minutes of recordings, 2 samples per second. The average seeing is poor, in 1 minute averaged, it was hovering 1.5 to 2 arc-seconds.... that's the equivalent of a 102mm to 80mm aperture critically sampled for resolution in 656nm wavelength. So if using a smaller aperture critically sampled, this would have been appropriate seeing. Using a larger aperture and finer image scale, the seeing was poor for my needs. However, this is where lucky imaging comes into play. Note on the graph there are approximately ~14 recorded moments that were at 0.8 arc-seconds. Even more if you just look at 1 arc second or less (more difficult with this graph limited to 0.8 to 1.6 arc-seconds scaling on the Y axis). The context that is important is that if one was imaging at 30 FPS sustained, and that metric is measured twice per second, that means for half a second, you had good seeing roughly and so about 15 frames were captured during that moment that might have been significantly better than the others in a brief moment of good seeing, but not over the entire frame, rather, in patches. The context example I'm trying to make is that higher FPS is crucial to lucky image and is basic statistics. If you have more FPS, when a half second moment of good seeing occurs, you can get approximately half your sustained FPS in potentially good frames. I was imaging at 170 FPS and 164 FPS respectively on the two cameras, so in a half second moment of good seeing, I can get 80+ frames. That's plenty to align and stack and get workable results. This is possible even if the graph showed nothing, it would just be harder to know how often brief moments of seeing was occuring. 14 times (in this case) in 50 minutes is getting a solid sub-arc second moment every 3.6 minutes. I didn't image the entire time in that 50 minutes. But if I did, it would have been in 30 second intervals (my typical max sequence is 30 seconds). So it would have been about 100 sequences at nearly 5k frames each sequence at these FPS, easily would fill up my 1TB SSD. And frankly don't want to fish through 500k frames with a CPU, it would take ages and ages. I tend to fish and watch. Anyhow, just more to think about as the graph doesn't mean a lot without context, other than the average seeing was saying "use an 80mm."

Very best,

DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

Marty,
I had wondered how you had fared through Hurricane Ian. I am glad you missed the worst of it. Very nice images, as usual.

I have never seen tree frogs like those here in the NC mountains. Ours is bark or lichen colored and a bit smaller.

James

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars
Orion 70mm Solar Telescope
Celestron AstroMaster Alt/Az Mount
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 60 DS
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 90 DS
Meade Coronado AZS Alt/Az Mount
Astro-Tech AT72EDII with Altair solar wedge
Celestron NexStar 102GT with Altair solar wedge
Losmandy AZ8 Alt/Az Mount
Sky-Watcher AZGTI Alt-Az GoTo mount
Cameras: ZWO ASI178MM, PGR Grasshopper, PGR Flea
Lunt, Coronado, TeleVue, Orion and Meade eyepieces

Image Visual Observer
" Way more fun to see it! "
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Lovely images Marty and informative discussion about the principles of lucky imaging!

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
BGazing
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by BGazing »

MalVeauX wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:42 am
Jordan Konisky wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:50 pm Always interesting and informative to see the accompanying SSM chart.
It's interesting, but it greatly depends on what context is involved. These metrics are not completely accurate, but they're highly correlated with actual good seeing. That said, again context matters a ton. If you look at the graph, its about 50 minutes of recordings, 2 samples per second. The average seeing is poor, in 1 minute averaged, it was hovering 1.5 to 2 arc-seconds.... that's the equivalent of a 102mm to 80mm aperture critically sampled for resolution in 656nm wavelength. So if using a smaller aperture critically sampled, this would have been appropriate seeing. Using a larger aperture and finer image scale, the seeing was poor for my needs. However, this is where lucky imaging comes into play. Note on the graph there are approximately ~14 recorded moments that were at 0.8 arc-seconds. Even more if you just look at 1 arc second or less (more difficult with this graph limited to 0.8 to 1.6 arc-seconds scaling on the Y axis). The context that is important is that if one was imaging at 30 FPS sustained, and that metric is measured twice per second, that means for half a second, you had good seeing roughly and so about 15 frames were captured during that moment that might have been significantly better than the others in a brief moment of good seeing, but not over the entire frame, rather, in patches. The context example I'm trying to make is that higher FPS is crucial to lucky image and is basic statistics. If you have more FPS, when a half second moment of good seeing occurs, you can get approximately half your sustained FPS in potentially good frames. I was imaging at 170 FPS and 164 FPS respectively on the two cameras, so in a half second moment of good seeing, I can get 80+ frames. That's plenty to align and stack and get workable results. This is possible even if the graph showed nothing, it would just be harder to know how often brief moments of seeing was occuring. 14 times (in this case) in 50 minutes is getting a solid sub-arc second moment every 3.6 minutes. I didn't image the entire time in that 50 minutes. But if I did, it would have been in 30 second intervals (my typical max sequence is 30 seconds). So it would have been about 100 sequences at nearly 5k frames each sequence at these FPS, easily would fill up my 1TB SSD. And frankly don't want to fish through 500k frames with a CPU, it would take ages and ages. I tend to fish and watch. Anyhow, just more to think about as the graph doesn't mean a lot without context, other than the average seeing was saying "use an 80mm."

Very best,
Very informative.
For some reason, my home-bred SSM shows results that are too optimistic. 50x wobbly, yet it shows constant sub-arcsecond seeing...something is off.

Lunt 80MT DS, 533/1600/462
arnedanielsen

Post by arnedanielsen »

Very nice results Marty!

Thanks for sharing,
Arne

Best regards,
Arne
--