November 1 2022 Observations

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
DeepSolar64
Way More Fun to Share It!!

November 1 2022 Observations

Post by DeepSolar64 »

Today's session was from 15:04 until 16:16 UTC. Clear skies with just below average seeing. The temperature is 63F ( 17.2C )

Coronado SolarMax II 90 DS. 32x and 50x ( Ha )
Today the Sun is really beautiful with numerous filaments, prominences and active regions. I can see well over 90 percent of what the GONG and KSO full disc images show!

I can see eight active regions in the Ha chromosphere today. Five in the northern hemisphere with the KSO showing three with numbers. Three are seen in the southern hemisphere with KSO showing a single numbered one there.

Two regions are seen in the NE quadrant. AR13135 is seen as a plage between and around two spots. East of it lies another easy but unlabeled plage. Three easy filaments lie in the NE quadrant but several other finer ones can be seen as well interacting with the active regions. The NW quadrant Shows three easy regions. AR13133 just west of the CLM is seen as a bright scattered plage with a fine filament in it's northern part. West of it lies AR13131 which shows two arcing filaments NE of the plage. A spot lies just SW of the plage and can be seen in doublestack. SW of AR13131 lies a thin elongated plage without an assigned number. A faint scattering of filaments lie in the far NW near the limb.

I see no real active regions in the SW quadrant though a bit of roughness can be seen in the chromosphere there, especially in the vicinity of some easily seen filaments located there. Three regions can be seen in the SE quadrant. East of the CLM lies two. One is a plage with two filaments NW of it. Further NNW of this unnumbered region lies a tiny plage. Further well NE of these regions lies AR13136 which is seen as a plage. Both GONG CTIO and KSO shows a fainter plage just ENE of this brighter plage. I cannot remember if I observed it and I did not record it in my notes. It's probably a part of AR13136 making it a dipole or bipolar system. A partial south polar crown is seen in the far SE and a splendid filament, actually a visible filaprom whose tiny prominence portion takes a close look to see. This filament resembles dark blades of grass!

Prominences are nice today. The NE quadrant shows a nice prominence on the limb. I can see some mottling in it and the northern part of it has a rough low dome shape. The southern part has two divisions. The whole thing roughly resembles a LadyBird Beetle ( Ladybug here in the US ) larva complete with head-thorax and abdomen with the head facing south. Now where are those solar aphids!! The SE quadrant shows a prom that extends south that is located on the limb just below the equator. Below it is a tiny prom that is the tip of a beautiful grasslike filament in the SE quadrant. Two more are seen south of this one. The southernmost is a filaprom with most of it being a filament as a part of a polar crown! I can see a single small curling prom on the SW limb and another small one just north of it. The NW limb has nothing of any significance.

The mottles are easily seen across the disc.

Celestron NexStar 102 GT w/Altair wedge and Baader 540nm filter. 55x and 62.5x ( WL )
I can see seven regions of activity on the 540nm photosphere today. Five of these are in the northern hemisphere stretching as a band across the solar disc. Three of these possess NOAA numbers as shown on the KSO images. Two regions are seen in the southern hemisphere with only one showing number labeling ( KSO ).

The NE quadrant shows a large scattered patch of faculae with a single fairly small embedded spot within it near the NE limb. SW of it lies the double spotted AR13135. Both spots show umbra-penumbra form and I can barely make out a lighter area in the SW side of the umbra in the westernmost spot. A forming light bridge maybe? I can see a couple of pores just west of the easternmost spot. AR13133 in the NW quadrant is seen as just a tiny grouping of pores. A larger darker pore leads four smaller ones east of it. AR13131 is seen as a large easy spot just east of the tiny AR13133. It shows a tiny buglike umbra surrounded by a penumbra that does show some mottling. West of it a patch of faculae is seen near the limb.

AR13136 is seen as two spots with a couple of attending pores in the SE quadrant. Well SW of it lies two more small spots that are associated with an unnumbered system lying there.

The solar granulation can be seen today but not especially well.

Carpe Lumen!

James

GONGCerroTololoChile_Ha_11-1-22.jpg
GONGCerroTololoChile_Ha_11-1-22.jpg (476.44 KiB) Viewed 183 times
KSO_Ha_11-1-22.jpg
KSO_Ha_11-1-22.jpg (324.06 KiB) Viewed 183 times
SDOHMIc_Color_11-1-22.jpg
SDOHMIc_Color_11-1-22.jpg (1.36 MiB) Viewed 183 times
Teide5-2022-11-01T154532UTC_Slooh_JP.jpg
Teide5-2022-11-01T154532UTC_Slooh_JP.jpg (137.27 KiB) Viewed 183 times

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars
Orion 70mm Solar Telescope
Celestron AstroMaster Alt/Az Mount
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 60 DS
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 90 DS
Meade Coronado AZS Alt/Az Mount
Astro-Tech AT72EDII with Altair solar wedge
Celestron NexStar 102GT with Altair solar wedge
Losmandy AZ8 Alt/Az Mount
Sky-Watcher AZGTI Alt-Az GoTo mount
Cameras: ZWO ASI178MM, PGR Grasshopper, PGR Flea
Lunt, Coronado, TeleVue, Orion and Meade eyepieces

Image Visual Observer
" Way more fun to see it! "
rigel123

Re: November 1 2022 Observations

Post by rigel123 »

Glad you had sun to share with us, nothing but clouds up here!

Warren

Lunt LS60T DS
Orion ED80T CF
Meade ETX LS6
Lunt CaK BF1200
Lunt WL Wedge
Baader Photographic Film
ASI174MM
Skyris 236M
Player One Saturn-M SQR

https://www.astrobin.com/users/rigel123/
DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

You are welcome Warren. My pleasure.

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars

Image Visual Observer
" Way more fun to see it! "
Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

I like your description James, I do see what you mean about the Ladybird larva :) interesting to see the new dipoles forming in the south too :hamster:

Alexandra

MAURITS

Post by MAURITS »

Excellent report James.
I have posted today a prom image from yesterday, because I saw visually only a part of it but when I finished the image I couldn't believe that all of this was invisible ...

Regards,
Maurits

Vista del Cielo Observatory

www.vistadelcielo.be
DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

There was a lot to see yesterday, Maurits. Unfortunately clouds have the sky completely covered today. I am on Slooh at the moment.

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars