Astro IIDC still works on my 2011 Macbook Pro!

This is the new home of the ASTRO IIDC user group previously on Yahoo Lists.
tim53
The Sun?
The Sun?

Astro IIDC still works on my 2011 Macbook Pro!

Post by tim53 »

As a result, I'm able to run all my firewire cameras and the few USB Pt Grey cameras I've bought over the last 15+ years.

But the best news is that I can process video from my new Player One Uranus C camera. All I have to do is set the output file type in Firecapture to AVI, and Astro IIDC opens the videos and can align and stack the frames. It's daylight, and I don't have the camera connected to a telescope or lens, so the video is awfully boring, but I'm excited to try it out at night.

Oh, and some of you may remember that I have one of those Macbook Pros from 2011 with the bad AMD graphics chip soldered in. It took me a while to find it, but there's a plugin that, once it is set up, bypasses the AMD chip and uses the Intel graphics chip. I only needed to set it up once and it's been fine ever since (for at least the last 2 years).

Planetarily,
-Tim.

solarchat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Astro IIDC still works on my 2011 Macbook Pro!

Post by solarchat »

I have used ASTRO IIDC almost exclusively since around 2009. I have a gathering of old iMacs and MacBooks that I keep just for that purpose and a Golden Key from Milton.

I also have a Player One Apollo M-Max that I use fire capture on. Are you saying that your .avi's from fire capture will process in ASTRO IIDC? That would be awesome since there is no decent program out there to stack movies on a Mac. I have been taking .png files and stacking them in Lynkeos...lol

Stephen W. Ramsden
Atlanta, GA USA
Founder/Director Charlie Bates Solar Astronomy Project
http://www.solarastronomy.org
tim53
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by tim53 »

Yes. I do have to set the output from Firecapture to avi (default is ser), but Astro IIDC opens avi just fine,

I have, or had, two other old macs with astro iidc on them - an ancient 2004 Mac powerbook and a 2006 mac mini. The powerbook's graphics chip died this year, so that one's out. I also have a 2004 iMac that i could install it on (I also have the golden key), but it would be pretty slow.

-Tim.

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

Great to hear Tim :hamster:

Alexandra