Artemis 1 Launch

Lets brighten up peoples live with all those lovely pictures of the world around us!

Moderator: Montana

DeepSolar64
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Artemis 1 Launch

Post by DeepSolar64 »

Did anyone watch the live NASA feed of the Artemis 1 launch at 1:47:44 am EST (6:47:44 UTC ) on the 16th. It's an un-crewed test of the SLS launch system and Orion Spacecraft to test it for the later crewed Artemis 2 mission. All went off without an issue and the spacecraft has already sent back images of a beautiful blue sunlit Earth from a further distance than has been seen from any human rated spacecraft since Apollo 17 in December 1972 almost 50 years ago.

I remember the Apollo missions as a child and I have greatly anticipated the Artemis Program. It may revive my own lunar observing and imaging program as it gets going.

GO NASA!! Go Artemis!!

Last edited by DeepSolar64 on Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars
Orion 70mm Solar Telescope
Celestron AstroMaster Alt/Az Mount
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 60 DS
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 90 DS
Meade Coronado AZS Alt/Az Mount
Astro-Tech AT72EDII with Altair solar wedge
Celestron NexStar 102GT with Altair solar wedge
Losmandy AZ8 Alt/Az Mount
Sky-Watcher AZGTI Alt-Az GoTo mount
Cameras: ZWO ASI178MM, PGR Grasshopper, PGR Flea
Lunt, Coronado, TeleVue, Orion and Meade eyepieces

Image Visual Observer
" Way more fun to see it! "
rigel123

Re: Artemis 1 Launch

Post by rigel123 »

I watched the replay, impressive liftoff! I still remember going into my elementary school gymnasium/auditorium where they had setup a TV for all of us to watch Alan Shepard become the first American to go into space!

Warren

Lunt LS60T DS
Orion ED80T CF
Meade ETX LS6
Lunt CaK BF1200
Lunt WL Wedge
Baader Photographic Film
ASI174MM
Skyris 236M
Player One Saturn-M SQR

https://www.astrobin.com/users/rigel123/
DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

rigel123 wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:12 pm I watched the replay, impressive liftoff! I still remember going into my elementary school gymnasium/auditorium where they had setup a TV for all of us to watch Alan Shepard become the first American to go into space!
WoW that was in 1961, three years before I was born. I can however remember the first lunar landing, that of Apollo 11 just short of my fifth birthday.

James

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars

Image Visual Observer
DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

Oh yes. I watched the launches on a black and white TV too. We didn't get a color set until 1978 when lightning ran in on the old B&W set destroying it. Both of those TVs were floor setting console TVs. Something pretty much extinct today.

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars

Image Visual Observer
Alun_H
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by Alun_H »

Back in the days when you had to get up to change the channels :lol: I was nine years old when Apollo 11 landed on the Moon and can remember watching all the programs on TV covering all the Apollo landings with James Burke and Sir Patrick Moore presenting.

Alun

Lunt 50THa solar scope
Lunt CaK B12 module
SW Evostar 72ED for full disk imaging
Sol'Ex SHG
80mm f/7 achromat used with pressure tune module off the Lunt with Lunt 100mm ERF
Bresser 90 f/10 achromat used for CaK & white light imaging & PST mod with Lunt 100mm ERF
Coronado SM40 (pre Meade) and BF10 filter set + SMII 60 richview DS etalon
Skywatcher EQ6 Pro and Ioptron CEM60
Then there is all the night kit which is far too long a list to write up here! :lol:
More images on view on my Flickr page...https://www.flickr.com/photos/alun_h/
DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

Alun_H wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 5:35 pm Back in the days when you had to get up to change the channels :lol: I was nine years old when Apollo 11 landed on the Moon and can remember watching all the programs on TV covering all the Apollo landings with James Burke and Sir Patrick Moore presenting.

Alun
Everyone was excited about space travel and exploration in those days. I hope Artemis resurrects that in some way to a new generation.

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars

Image Visual Observer
KMH
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by KMH »

I'm another old-timer who watched all the Apollo coverage I could. As I recall Jules Bergman was my reporter of choice. I well remember looking up at the moon on the night of the first moonwalk and thinking how amazing it was that there were actually people up there.

It was very exciting to watch the Artemis launch live. I really hope the project continues and we see landings, Lunar Gateway, a lunar base of sorts, etc. It would be pretty unfortunate if all that money were spent for no more than a simple landing or two. Still, I guess it wouldn't surprise me given the Artemis funding history.

Kevin

DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

I think Artemis is going to bring back a lot of memories for those of us old enough to remember the Apollo landings. Outside of the Vietnam War, those were good times.

I wonder if anyone here ever bought the TeleVue 11mm Apollo commemorative eyepiece!?

https://televue.com/televueopticstalk/2 ... -eyepiece/

James

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars

Image Visual Observer
KMH
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by KMH »

DeepSolar64 wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 5:20 am I think Artemis is going to bring back a lot of memories for those of us old enough to remember the Apollo landings. Outside of the Vietnam War, those were good times.

I wonder if anyone here ever bought the TeleVue 11mm Apollo commemorative eyepiece!?

James

Not the eyepiece, but I have a few of the early 1970s Apollo 11 dollar coins.

Kevin

DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

KMH wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 5:50 am
DeepSolar64 wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 5:20 am I think Artemis is going to bring back a lot of memories for those of us old enough to remember the Apollo landings. Outside of the Vietnam War, those were good times.

James

Not the eyepiece, but I have a few of the early 1970s Apollo 11 dollar coins.

Kevin
Those may be worth a bit now!!

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars

Image Visual Observer
Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

Unfortunately no human has ever walked on the Moon in my lifetime, so I often wonder whether it was actually possible :)

I look forward to seeing how this mission goes.

Alexandra

rigel123

Post by rigel123 »

DeepSolar64 wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 5:24 pm Oh yes. I watched the launches on a black and white TV too. We didn't get a color set until 1978 when lightning ran in on the old B&W set destroying it. Both of those TVs were floor setting console TVs. Something pretty much extinct today.
This brought back a memory when things were much different. When my dad decided to get a color TV, sometime in the early 60’s, the owner of the store would deliver a set for him to try out. The third one dad liked and it was a massive console. Imagine that kind of service today!

Warren

Lunt LS60T DS
Orion ED80T CF
Meade ETX LS6
Lunt CaK BF1200
Lunt WL Wedge
Baader Photographic Film
ASI174MM
Skyris 236M
Player One Saturn-M SQR

https://www.astrobin.com/users/rigel123/
EGRAY_OBSERVATORY

Post by EGRAY_OBSERVATORY »

Apollo-11 mock-up ?? No - it really did happen in 1969...

In fact I have the original LIVE tape recordings as taken from a B&W TV at the time back then, from all of the main-events, including commentary from Sir Patrick Moore & James Burke.

I also photographed from the TV numerous photos of such events.

These were displayed as recently as 2019 at a local classical-music event memorising the First Moon Landing of the 50th anniversary.
Also I produced a presentation for two astronomy-clubs - relating to the Apollo flights and landings..

Along with an original-acquired TIME LIFE magazine and numerous newspapers, these archive-materials are now destined for sale and/or museum exhibits.. Any offers via my PM ??

(the tapes will require to be played via a reel-to-reel tape recorder and probably be converted to a CD type system too)...

Probably all worth more (or far more) than the TeleVue 11mm Apollo commemorative eyepiece!?

Excellent video James and NASA of this latest un-manned mission to our nearest-neighbour !!

Terry
ps. this is my first post being somewhat able to type using both lower & upper cases of this keyboard for many-months, but with many corrected (I hope) mistooks, but there is a long-way to go (if ever) that I can survive my problematic ill-health...

DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

Alexandra,
That makes you a part of the Shuttle generation and as far as the moon goes a part of the Artemis generation. I was quite young during the Apollo Era. 8 years old at the time of Apollo 17.

Nice reply, Terry. Those videos and pictures are treasures!! You can certainly remember the Apollo missions better than I can. And yes they are more valuable than the TeleVue Apollo II eyepiece!

James

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars

Image Visual Observer
KMH
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by KMH »

Montana wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 7:48 am Unfortunately no human has ever walked on the Moon in my lifetime, so I often wonder whether it was actually possible :)

I look forward to seeing how this mission goes.

Alexandra

Alexandra,

One of the depressing aspects of experiencing the excitement of the Apollo era was the subsequent years, then decades, when we lost (or just gave up, perhaps) the technology and will to do such things. Or even (for the US anyway) to send crew to low earth orbit. When I watched Neil and Buzz I seriously assumed that it would be possible for me to go to the moon at some point in my lifetime (I was only 8 at the time!). Alas, not yet.

I was thrilled to see the success of SpaceX in restoring some of that vision and capability. And now thrilled with the (so far) success of Artemis I. As I said above, I really hope NASA, SpaceX, et al. are able to really follow through on this. Maybe Elon will get me to the moon yet!

Kevin

EGRAY_OBSERVATORY

Thanks James.
Perhaps I might be able (just), to get to scan (or take some digital images) of some of the archive material and the photos - to post them here.

Artemis missions will or should bring back many Apollo-memories and no doubt prove very interesting when manned or robotic-missions bring results towards further space missions...

Terry

DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

Kevin, everyone
I too have been a bit disappointed in progress over the years. In the 1970s, early 80s It appeared we would be back on the moon by the 1990s and on to Mars by the early 2000s. NASA got too stagnated in low Earth Orbit operations and the Space Shuttle turned out far more expensive to operate than planned. NASA had planned a single stage to orbit vehicle to replace the Shuttle but it was canceled and then came the Constellation program which was also canceled. Then came the SLS system which was was made up of parts from the lobotomized Constellation program mixed with leftover but useful hardware left over from the shuttle program. It'll work for getting us to the moon I think but I feel hardware from companies like SpaceX would have been a better option. The SpaceX Starship would be a better rocket for Artemis. It's both bigger and more powerful with a higher payload capacity and uses more modern technology than the SLS system does. Congress is part to blame since they cater to their existing contracts with the established aerospace giants instead of going to someone more capable and possibly more affordable. I was real disappointed when the shuttle was retired without a replacement and we had to hitch rides with Roscosmos. No insult to them, it was the stupidity of the US government. And what to hell happened to single stage to orbit!? A boosterless shuttle-like vehicle like VentureStar could carry a payload to go to the moon in it's cargo bay. If like that of the Space Shuttle it would have been quite large. It had been mentioned even in the shuttle era but was never done. It just seems going back to rockets and space capsules seems well, a step back, not forward. It's true they have much better inside tech but it's still glorified 1970's tech otherwise. But even with this I still have high hopes for the Artemis program. I wish NASA the best. Our government has always not given them the best of choices with budget cuts and favoritism with contracts, etc.

Overall I am well satisfied with NASA on their robotic probe missions and satellites. Juno, Cassini, New Horizons, HST, JWT and all the Mars rovers and orbiters. Asteroid and comet intercept missions and lunar orbiters. And then there is the Parker Solar Probe and my favorite the Solar Dynamics Observatory! And then there is their cooperation with ESA concerning their Solar Orbiter. And then there is the ISS! NASA has always had my support!

Ok, it's too long a ramble. NASA is good but with proper governmental support could be GREAT!. It leads the world but could be light-years ahead of it with proper support.

James

P.S. And then there is Blue Origin. They are highly underestimated.

Terry,
Post those images. If only SolarChat had a section dedicated to space agencies and professional observatories/sources. It would be nice to see NASA at it's best. And to think they had Apollo missions scheduled after Apollo 17. They were canceled!!

James

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars

Image Visual Observer
EGRAY_OBSERVATORY

Interesting post James and thanks.

Obviously SOLARCHAT is primarily for Sun observations/Imaging etc., so other than the SUNLIT EARTH page, which obviously can and does include similar Moon imagery, perhaps to include so many other items (except our Moon) is going off-topic ??

So in practice " If only SolarChat had a section dedicated to space agencies and professional observatories/sources. " is going a bit too-far off topic ??

But certainly, to show here some of the 1969 items (from my archive-material) relating directly to humans visiting the Moon, should be in order, unless Steven, Mark T. and Alexandra etc., have any objections... ???

Any further comments from SOLARCHAT members of the forum always welcome.

Regards
Terry

KMH
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by KMH »

James,

Thanks for that post on NASA. I had kind of forgotten about the whole single stage to orbit notion. I agree NASA's biggest constraints on crewed flight have often come from the government, and they do a pretty good job considering. It must be very frustrating for them to see funding come/go/come/go etc. And, certainly, their robotic efforts have been a spectacular success. Obviously that brings up the merits of crewed vs robotic missions, but that's a whole thread (at least) by itself!!

Kevin

DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

Terry,
Not so sure that NASA topics are so off subject for SolarChat discussions. Manned spaceflight missions have done solar work like SkyLab in the mid-70's and they had a solar setup on the ISS for a little while too. Then there is the aforementioned Parker Solar Probe and NASA's involvement with ESA's Solar Orbiter and then there is the SDO whose data is valuable to amateur solar observers as well as to the professional community. So I politely disagree about NASA in any form being truly off topic. We owe them much!

It's the same with other professional entities, especially solar observatories. The NSO and KSO among many others. All worth a discussion here. The new DKIST instrument is an excellent example and many of us use the NSO GONG network's Ha images.

I hope you keep improving Terry. I hope you improve enough to get at least capable minimally to do some solar observing. Have hope my friend.

James

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars

Image Visual Observer
DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

KMH wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 7:11 pm James,

Thanks for that post on NASA. I had kind of forgotten about the whole single stage to orbit notion. I agree NASA's biggest constraints on crewed flight have often come from the government, and they do a pretty good job considering. It must be very frustrating for them to see funding come/go/come/go etc. And, certainly, their robotic efforts have been a spectacular success. Obviously that brings up the merits of crewed vs robotic missions, but that's a whole thread (at least) by itself!!

Kevin

A lot of it is not NASA's fault. It's congress and the government that backs them. They do the best with what funds are allocated to them which is usually amazingly well and cutting-edge technology is not cheap. Look how much was spent on HST and JWST. I bet the SDO was not cheap either!

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars

Image Visual Observer
EGRAY_OBSERVATORY

Thanks James.
Obviously not including entities such as NASA and other similar organisations (world-wide) + firms that specifically deal with any Solar-missions/equipment/telescopic-gear etc., that have their rightful-place on Solarchat for further discussion - available by or too those interested.

As you correctly mention about the various Solar-monitoring observatories (whether professional or like us - amateurs), these will always be the prime source for reporting and showing everybody who is interested, what is occurring both on our Sun and including Sun-lit objects etc.

Other discussions about the political- situation relating to funding etc. of whatever entities - is getting very-close to the limits of that which Solarchat will likely accept, as can cause some problems, so ideally those discussions can usually be taken-up with the concerns-involved - directly or via the internet within the use of say Facebook etc...

There are of course, also other organisations that will deal with other space/deep-space material facts etc., so best to read these from their specific websites, rather cluttering-up this top website...

There again, what do I know ??

Regards
Terry

DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

Terry,
I agree with what you say in your third paragraph when I was talking about funding by the US government ( congress ) when it comes to favoring certain companies for contracts since those companies lobby for them coming election time. It's a grey-area I know since it comes onto political and governmental issues, after all NASA is a agency of the US Government. Thanks for reminding me. I maybe have gotten a bit carried away a bit. I am certainly not trying to instigate an argument here or endorse a political party. I just feel that private non government funded corporations like Blue Origin and SpaceX should have a fair shot at the hardware. Their tech is very competitive with what the traditional government defense contract companies like Lockheed Martin, Boeing and Northrop-Grumman offers and may be cheaper in the long run. I know SpaceX has fell out of favor with some due do the the StarLink satellite constellations causing interference with imaging telescopes here on the ground but they still have a lot to offer in the space exploration arena.

Thanks for your input on this Terry. :D

James

https://www.blueorigin.com/

https://youtu.be/fbFXy30hUmA

https://youtu.be/axMjSUoh7Is

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars

Image Visual Observer
EGRAY_OBSERVATORY

Thanks James for understanding what I was trying to point-out.
As long as any real politically motivated facts or opinions are minimized or not included, then there should no problems.

Well leave such to the media (if one wishes to believe them)... :cat

As for the web-links you've included, I've had a brief look at those and of course competition can well be a good thing and certainly those other companies should be offering their expertise and knowledge to each other in order minimize costs and take forward more efficiently for whichever goal is being achieved. In fact, they probably are, but I'm not privileged to such knowledge...

Cheers
Terry

" TOPIC REVIEW: ARTEMIS 1 LAUNCH
by DeepSolar64 » Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:39 am

Terry,
I agree with what you say in your third paragraph when I was talking about funding by the US government ( congress ) when it comes to favoring certain companies for contracts since those companies lobby for them coming election time.

It's a grey-area I know since it comes onto political and governmental issues, after all NASA is a agency of the US Government. Thanks for reminding me. I maybe have gotten a bit carried away a bit.
I am certainly not trying to instigate an argument here or endorse a political party. I just feel that private non government funded corporations like Blue Origin and SpaceX should have a fair shot at the hardware.
Their tech is very competitive with what the traditional government defense contract companies like Lockheed Martin, Boeing and Northrop-Grumman offers and may be cheaper in the long run.
I know SpaceX has fell out of favor with some due do the the StarLink satellite constellations causing interference with imaging telescopes here on the ground but they still have a lot to offer in the space exploration arena.

Thanks for your input on this Terry. :D

James

https://www.blueorigin.com/
https://youtu.be/fbFXy30hUmA
https://youtu.be/axMjSUoh7Is "

MAURITS

Post by MAURITS »

Very interesting Terry, thanks for sharing.

Regards,
Maurits

Vista del Cielo Observatory

www.vistadelcielo.be
DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

Thanks Terry! :)

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars

Image Visual Observer
EGRAY_OBSERVATORY

Thanks Maurits and I look forward to viewing and replying to more of your excellent imagery hopefully..

Regards
Terry