Solarview SV60

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
Piemme
The Sun?
The Sun?

Solarview SV60

Post by Piemme »

Hi,
I would like to know your opinion, if there's anybody that has used it:

just for visual only, not imaging, I would like to know if a Solarscope Solarview SV60 (yes, I know the sky high price...) will be better or worst than a other brand (Lunt, Coronado, etc) double stack solution.

So, for visual only solar observation, do you think it's enough a single stack solar filter telescope or choosing a double stack solution will enhance so much the pleasure of viewing? It seems to me, looking at images on the web, that a double stack telescope gives a very "dark" image while a single stack is brighter and more natural (of course a bit less detailed).

Thank you

P.

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Re: Solarview SV60

Post by Montana »

Hi Piemme,

I've never looked through a SV60 but I have looked through a Solarscope 70mm and own a DS100mm. Both are fabulous.

However, you say you are looking purely visual, well then, I would say that your most enjoyment would come from a double stack. A double stack significantly increases the surface detail on the solar disc and makes it much easier for the eye to see filaments and plage regions. It also gives a 3D dimension to everything as well. I think this is very important for visual. So a double stack is a must have. By having both the single and double stack unit you can see prominences very easily with the single, then add the double and enjoy the high contrast surface view with double stack. I think if you stick with single you will be missing half the fun and half the detail. The Solarscopes are indeed top quality but a single stack is still a single stack at 0.7A and only half the fun of 0.5A.

The only difference with Solarscopes is that they have no central obstruction (more detail for the aperture). Also, the double stack unit does not come with an extra ERF on it and the blocking filter is modified to be brighter. Therefore, unlike other brands the double stack set up is just as bright as a single stack set up apart from the fact you have more contrast to see more surface details. So in this case a Solarscope does not give a very 'dark' image in DS mode, it gives you more surface features to see.

I hope this helps? if you have any other questions please ask :)

Alexandra

Piemme
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by Piemme »

Thank you very much Alexandra, your answer is very clear and comprehensive. I confirm my intention to have only visual observations. The only problem with a DS Solarscope is... Well, let's say that the price is not very popular.... Sure very high quality but also very high price compared to competitors. I'll think about it some more... :-)
Thank you so much for the moment
P.

rsfoto
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Post by rsfoto »

Hi P.,
It seems to me, looking at images on the web, that a double stack telescope gives a very "dark" image while a single stack is brighter and more natural (of course a bit less detailed).
This is a wrong assumption as in imaging there are a lot of factors which make the images all look different.

Processing, taste of the imager, monitor calibration, an image looking good in your monitor not necessarily looks the same on the monitor of another person due to colour temperature adjustment, it can look brighter or darker, etc. etc. etc.

regards Rainer

Observatorio Real de 14
San Luis Potosi Mexico

North 22° West 101°
EGRAY_OBSERVATORY

Post by EGRAY_OBSERVATORY »

Interesting question Piemme.
I had the pleasure of regularly using the Solarview SV60 back in the earlier 2000's and prior to my purchasing a Lunt 60mm Ha and its' DS, along with the Calcium-K version too for imaging in 2010, when clearly imaging was the intention for me then.

The SV60 is of course one of the most excellent instruments of its' class ever, produced anywhere and at the time when manufactured in the
Isle-of-Man, was a renowned-success in the earlier days of Solar viewing and imaging, albeit a tad expensive. Luckily though our astronomy club, we won a funding from the National Lottery in the UK and decided to purchase one for the use of Public Outreach's and club use.

I had the privilege of being the main-user for these events and found the SV60 as giving exceptionally good views.

The Double-Stack addition is ultimately to allow for better contrast and although does make the views darker (and often more pleasing to the eye),
also allows that explained in :- https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/7968 ... d-i-do-it/

Therefore in brief, better (more) contrast = Better showing of SURFACE DETAIL as per the examples shown...

There are many articles relating to this subject on the web as "Solarscope double stacking"

I hope that helps
Clear Skies
Terry

Piemme
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by Piemme »

Hi Terry, very interesting topic on CN, thanks for sharing.
I have to study a lot, I'm a total newbie about solar astronomy. I understand of course that images from the web can be misleading but, incredibly, the more I see DS images, the more I prefer SS ones. To my eyes, as said, DS too dark and less pleasing. But I will have to try before e see directly with my eyes.
Really thanks everybody for your opinions.
P.

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

Double stacking does not make the Sun darker. All that is happening is that less unwanted continuum light is removed therefore more of the hydrogen alpha features are revealed to the eyes. Why would you want it brighter so that you can see less? it is like being dazzled by car highlights.
For visual, the eyes are so well adapted to see high dynamic range that a DS view of the Sun is easy to see. Do not go by images posted on the web because most cameras do not have the high dynamic range that the eyes have.

The Solarscope is great as the double stack version has less light blocking filters in it so the Sun is actually the same brightness as a single stack view anyway. I think double stacking is quite essential for visual observing unless you are only interested in studying prominences.

I would certainly go for a Solarscope if you can afford it, it may be expensive but if you live in the UK the price is not that much different to a Lunt these days. If not, then a good Lunt 60mm DS would be good value. Or buy a single stack Solarscope and save up for the DS unit later (this is what I did).

Regards
Alexandra

EGRAY_OBSERVATORY

By the way Piemme, the article https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/7968 ... d-i-do-it/ is actually produced by one of our very technically-experienced Solarchat guys as Cosmos/Bob Yoesle, so perhaps his article should guide you in the right direction with your question. Three of the responders to that article are also Solarchat members...

As already said, getting the scope without the DS in the first instance, will certainly give you superb views and you can always get the DS afterwards.

Contacting Solarview, might give the opportunity of asking for a special price, but I have no proof of such, but asking could give you a good result...

My experience in using, getting and purchasing my own Solarscopes, is that you get what you pay for = the best is expensive but is worth it...

Best Wishes and Clear Skies
Terry

Highbury Mark
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by Highbury Mark »

My experience is that Solarscope etalons normally outperform both Lunt and Coronado equivalents, though of course there is variation with each filter. My SF70DS are the best astronomy investment I’ve ever made, but I also know someone who had both Solarscope SF70DS and a double stacked Lunt 60, and he prefers the Lunt. UK prices are unusual in that a double stacked Lunt 80 (with two internal etalons) is now about the same price as a SF70DS (external, unobstructed) set, but - as pointed out above - Solarscope are much more expensive in export markets. If I had to choose between a single stacked SF60 and a double stacked Lunt LS60, I’d go for the Lunt, no question.

Solarscope SF70DS + TV85
TSA-120, Baader wedge
EGRAY_OBSERVATORY

An excellent reply Mark and agreed totally

Terry