November 19 2022 Observations. Scope accident! :-(

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
EGRAY_OBSERVATORY
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Re: November 19 2022 Observations. Scope accident! :-(

Post by EGRAY_OBSERVATORY »

Hi Peter,
Very interesting comments and thanks vm.

Steel cable as in Kensington Locks, coud prove a problem where the cable really needs to be very flexible in some parts of the usage,
otherwise I have used much more flexible cord from either fishing-tackle or hardware shops.

Being a former Boy Scout etc., learning how to use knots, has been used where one or more different knots have been use - with great effect.

Some years ago in my observatory, the Double Stack unit fell to the floor whilst it was unscrewed from the Lunt 60Ha scope. No real way of adding a safety-line for that, so it had to be returned to Lunt for an expensive replacement, as was not worth using the insurance-cover for that.
So the replacement now has thick rubber-bands around the DS for far better grip and to lesson the repetition..

ps I made my own "tethers" for next to nothing in price, so didn't need to search for something better..

Best Wishes
Terry

DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

I dropped my 60mm stacking etalon once when I was unscrewing it. It landed on mossy ground and suffered no damage. I was lucky.

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars
Orion 70mm Solar Telescope
Celestron AstroMaster Alt/Az Mount
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 60 DS
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 90 DS
Meade Coronado AZS Alt/Az Mount
Astro-Tech AT72EDII with Altair solar wedge
Celestron NexStar 102GT with Altair solar wedge
Losmandy AZ8 Alt/Az Mount
Sky-Watcher AZGTI Alt-Az GoTo mount
Cameras: ZWO ASI178MM, PGR Grasshopper, PGR Flea
Lunt, Coronado, TeleVue, Orion and Meade eyepieces

Image Visual Observer
" Way more fun to see it! "
Peterm

Post by Peterm »

EGRAY_OBSERVATORY wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:42 am Hi Peter,
Very interesting comments and thanks vm.

Steel cable as in Kensington Locks, coud prove a problem where the cable really needs to be very flexible in some parts of the usage,
otherwise I have used much more flexible cord from either fishing-tackle or hardware shops.

Being a former Boy Scout etc., learning how to use knots, has been used where one or more different knots have been use - with great effect.

Some years ago in my observatory, the Double Stack unit fell to the floor whilst it was unscrewed from the Lunt 60Ha scope. No real way of adding a safety-line for that, so it had to be returned to Lunt for an expensive replacement, as was not worth using the insurance-cover for that.
So the replacement now has thick rubber-bands around the DS for far better grip and to lesson the repetition..

ps I made my own "tethers" for next to nothing in price, so didn't need to search for something better..

Best Wishes
Terry
Ouch, that would have really hurt even more than just $ wise I am sure, hurt me enough just to read about it. Very useful to read your solutions. I have now completed the Camera, Blocking Filter and 'Scope tethers for my 80mm for under $5 per the pic. I used a wider Lanyard and same securing but around the saddle bolts for the 'scope. I let the 'scope slip back in several mount positions and the lanyard held it so it wouldn't come out of the saddle. I have a Double Stack on my 60mm Lunt that can stay on, but if its does need to come off your rubber band idea is a beauty, thanks! So I guess double check and check again or tether, we have been warned!

Best,
Peter
Attachments
20221201_103354.jpg
20221201_103354.jpg (538.78 KiB) Viewed 358 times

Lunt 80Tha S/S & D/S / B1800; Quark Chromosphere; SkyWatcher 120 Evostar; Celestron SE6; Celestron AVX; Berlebach Planet; ZWO174MM & 432MM & 533MM; Powermate 5X; Lunt Solar Wedge; Hinode SG; Airy Labs SSM

Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/PeterM/
BOSS team: https://www.scienceinpublic.com.au/medi ... ia-release
DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

Peter,
I have always praised the Coronado scopes for their gold and black tubes but this Lunt 60mm is a beauty! I'll see if I can get me one of these lanyards from work if I can. That's a wonderful idea and while I am at it see if I can find me some easy grip wide rubber bands for my DS etalon as Terry has suggested. I had totally forgotten about that.

Now how would one drop-protect a heavy scope like a SMII90 or a Lunt 100 or bigger? Or a HaT SCT!?? :shock: :o

Little scopes below 80mm are easy by comparison.

James

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars

Image Visual Observer
EGRAY_OBSERVATORY

Hello Peter & James et-al

Yes James, you're lucky on your DS dropping onto soft-ground with no damage, whereas mine dropped from around 6-feet onto the carpeted observatory floor with filters badly cracked. The white barrel was a slippery part to hold and with numerous turns to unscrew it from the scope, suddenly was loose to the "gravity effects"..

The remedy as shown in the attached image - shows the rubber-bands giving far better grip to this fairly heavy object...

Suitable larger rubber-bands should be available from your local-store and/or stationary shop...

Larger scopes etc., should pose no problem too, as long as the scope-stand/tripod is stable enough to be suddenly able to capture the "gravity" drop scenario, so ones imagination should provide the answer there, with perhaps some testing using say "bricks" or heavy-weights :seesaw :lol:

Hi Peter, thanks for your additional pics, which clearly show your efforts in dealing with "gravity"..
Good insurance investment of the $5

Of course the need to operate the scope in the many positions to ensure no-snagging of the cords when slewing etc., especially using an automatic/remote control slewing and even more-so for those who use their gear at night - in the dark.

I found that an added-advantage of using the lanyard system, is that when changing/removing items, sometimes they can simply hang on their lanyards for the changes - negating undoing, until the need to replacing/refitting each. Especially the camera - this could apply and thus without finding somewhere to put the camera whilst changing optics/filters etc...

"So I guess double check and check again or tether, we have been warned!" is definitely agreeable and less expensive too :cat

Best Wishes and Clear Skies
Terry
Attachments
DOUBLE STACK PROTECTION.jpg
DOUBLE STACK PROTECTION.jpg (862.05 KiB) Viewed 332 times

DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

WoW, Terry. You have it coated in rubber! Put another layer and it would bounce if it fell. Nice idea!!

James

P.S. I hope you get to use it again.

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars

Image Visual Observer
EGRAY_OBSERVATORY

" Put another layer and it would bounce if it fell. Nice idea!! "

Well James, I'm sure I wouldn't actually test it to confirm whether or not, but hopefully to date - it has not slipped out of my hand..

Terry

Peterm

Post by Peterm »

Howdy,

I have made more progress on securing my gear from gravity thanks to a friend with a 3D printer and an interesting 3D site I found below.

Camera - a friend 3D printed for me the white plastic USB3 cord support and he added a tether point to the support. The support is secured at the camera end by a bolt that screws conveniently into the back of the camera. A tether then secures it to the bolt at the Moonlite focuser. The other advantage of this support is that it helps stop any movement of the USB3 cable. I found the support 3D plans on the top row of page 2 at this site, my friend said it was easy to add the tether point before printing https://www.yeggi.com/q/zwo+asi/

Best,

Peter
Attachments
Scope2.jpg
Scope2.jpg (87.53 KiB) Viewed 275 times
20221213_112133.jpg
20221213_112133.jpg (159.44 KiB) Viewed 275 times

Lunt 80Tha S/S & D/S / B1800; Quark Chromosphere; SkyWatcher 120 Evostar; Celestron SE6; Celestron AVX; Berlebach Planet; ZWO174MM & 432MM & 533MM; Powermate 5X; Lunt Solar Wedge; Hinode SG; Airy Labs SSM

Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/PeterM/
BOSS team: https://www.scienceinpublic.com.au/medi ... ia-release
DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

Nice idea!!

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars