Anular Solar eclipse and travel to Mexico

rsfoto
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Anular Solar eclipse and travel to Mexico

Post by rsfoto »

Hi,

Yes we will have a nice anular solar eclipse crossing the Peninsula of Yucatan next year. If you get a place to stay in a good Hotel then I would say do it.

Perhaps I am a bit paranoid but being the situation in Mexico as it is, do not choose a cheap place away from big Tourist towns. Can be dangerous. OK, that is the actual situation and it could get better but it can also get much worse.

There are good hotels in the area of the Caribbean part of the Yucatan peninsula but choosing anything towards the Gulf of Mexico I would stay away from it.

I choose the look at it at my Place with 71.88% coverage ...

But it is up to you to take a decision ...

best regards Rainer

Living in a country where the President is " Il Capo di tutti Capi "

Eclipse_Anular_2023.JPG
Eclipse_Anular_2023.JPG (86.08 KiB) Viewed 18789 times

regards Rainer

Observatorio Real de 14
San Luis Potosi Mexico

North 22° West 101°
Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Re: Anular Solar eclipse and travel to Mexico

Post by Montana »

Thank you for the excellent advice ;)

Alexandra

Radon86
Almost There...
Almost There...

Eclipse updates - 2023 annular and 2024 total eclipse

Post by Radon86 »

Hi,

I came across a video of the Total eclipse 2017 - American (blu ray disc) from the British Astro Association (britastro.org) recently at the Astrofest 2023. I only started viewing it, it is about 2 hours long.
I saw videos so far about 2 contributors.
Pretty good but I did not see a lot of automated camera captures. I think they were so far H-alpha from a solar telescope, probably the Coronado PST.

Do you think it would be better to do:

1) automated eclipse capture like the eclipse sequencer from Magic Lantern -
https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/6674 ... sequencer/

and/or
2) run a high dynamic range imaging using Magic Lantern or other system : take 8 images starting at 1/4000 sec to 4 secs (as demonstrated by Chris in the 2017 eclipse discussion here on solarchat.

I have not been to get the eclipse sequencer to work yet, and this is better for a total eclipse I suppose, rather than an annular eclipse.

I suppose if you could have enough cameras and lenses and tripods to choose 1 and 2 (maybe need a solar tracking device).

There is a new map of the 2023 and 2024 eclipses: see and download it (24 MB) file:

https://solarsystem.nasa.gov/news/2332/ ... in-the-us/

Getting excited, probably aiming for the 2024 April eclipse in USA or maybe the eclipse in Europe in 2026 (Portugal and Spain).

Magnus

rsfoto

Post by rsfoto »

rsfoto wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 5:51 pm Hi,

Yes we will have a nice anular solar eclipse crossing the Peninsula of Yucatan next year. If you get a place to stay in a good Hotel then I would say do it.

Perhaps I am a bit paranoid but being the situation in Mexico as it is, do not choose a cheap place away from big Tourist towns. Can be dangerous. OK, that is the actual situation and it could get better but it can also get much worse.

There are good hotels in the area of the Caribbean part of the Yucatan peninsula but choosing anything towards the Gulf of Mexico I would stay away from it.

I choose the look at it at my Place with 71.88% coverage ...

But it is up to you to take a decision ...

best regards Rainer

Living in a country where the President is " Il Capo di tutti Capi "

Eclipse_Anular_2023.JPG
BTW, there is a nice Hotel in the path of this years eclipse and its name is

Explorean Kohunlich

https://www.explorean.com/hoteles-y-res ... lsrc=aw.ds

I was there once and very nice.

Rainer

PD. Look like they still have empty rooms

regards Rainer

Observatorio Real de 14
San Luis Potosi Mexico

North 22° West 101°
Radon86
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by Radon86 »

Thank you Rainer.

I saw your solar images used for a solar presentation at a the recent Astrofest held in London.

Regards,

Magnus

Sandrogoewey
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by Sandrogoewey »

Thanks for sharing your experience and advice! It's always great to hear about upcoming celestial events like the anular solar eclipse. I love traveling and exploring new places too. Speaking of which, I recently came across some interesting information about Joliet. Surprisingly, it seems that Joliet doesn't provide detailed data on thefts. That's something to keep in mind when considering travel destinations. As for Mexico, I understand your concerns about safety, especially when choosing accommodations. It's important to prioritize personal safety and opt for reputable hotels in well-touristed areas. It's a decision each individual has to make based on their comfort level.