Let's finalize things

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
TareqPhoto
Almost There...
Almost There...

Let's finalize things

Post by TareqPhoto »

Hi,

I am still waiting any news about my Lunt CaK as it is stuck somewhere and not confirmed about any updates, i sent an email to the company so hopefully they can solve the issue and ship it as soon as possible, the weather isn't ok these days with clouds and rain, but i know it will go away soon and will have clear skies again, and also it is still winter time here so the sun isn't that much hot during daylight or no humidity to kill us so i will try to do more solar imaging soon before summer.

- I have Antlia solar Herschel Wedge with CaK filter inside, i tried to remove the filter but i failed, they placed it where i can't remove it easily and simple, so i decided i will keep there but i buy another extension tube to place on the top of the wedge without any filter, but i couldn't find this extension tube anywhere to buy, it has a different mount thread, it is 1.25" but not regular one as i tried some mounting rings and extensions and they are all either bigger or smaller threads, so not sure what kind of thread is that, i want to use this Wedge for white light and Continuum filter and not buying another Wedge.

- I ordered ASI432MM and waiting it to be delivered in few days coming, so this will be mainly used with Quark Ha, but i have to choose which scope and stop it down and use 5x to get into f/30 or slower so it will be a great match, i might use ASI174MM either with Lunt CaK setup or WL with Wedge.

If i will use say three scopes together at the same time, and i use ASI174MM as one camera and ASI432MM as another/second camera, then what do you recommend as a camera for a third scope might be used for CaK or WL?

- I asked in Facebook [and another forum] about a scope i can use for DSO, 102mm, now i was thinking if i should choose 102mm achro so i can use it for solar too, or 102mm ED which is still ok for solar, or triplet then i don't know how good it is for solar, the main will be DSO not solar, but i don't mind to use it for solar too, so an achro or ED doublet or APO triplet?

- If i want to use the Quark with 5x to get into f/30 or slower, then how can i get a full disk? If i will use a reducer then where should i place this telecentric Barlow and where should i place the reducer 0.5x 2"??? And if i use the Lunt CaK with whatever scope up to 100mm, do i need a front ERF? Or how i stop it down it is say 102mm or 152mm or even 120mm???

- Can we use reflectors such as 8" Newt or 6" Newt or 7" [180mm] Maksutov for white light using the wedge without that frontal solar filter film or....? And can they be used for CaK too? And Quark Ha? Almost i want to use 180mm Mak and not Newt.

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Re: Let's finalize things

Post by marktownley »

Hi Tareq

In terms of scopes I would go with the one that offers best value and the best focuser. If the achro has a decent focuser then that's the one. Otherwise most ED scopes tend to have a ha;f decent focuser.

You aren't going to get a full disk with a Quark and a 102mm f7 unless you mosaic.

Regards the reflectors, no. If you want to use your mak get a front mounted film filter for it. I would try the smaller scope first and see if your daytime seeing even supports use of your 180mm scope before spending.

Mark

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
TareqPhoto
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TareqPhoto »

marktownley wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:06 am Hi Tareq

In terms of scopes I would go with the one that offers best value and the best focuser. If the achro has a decent focuser then that's the one. Otherwise most ED scopes tend to have a ha;f decent focuser.

You aren't going to get a full disk with a Quark and a 102mm f7 unless you mosaic.

Regards the reflectors, no. If you want to use your mak get a front mounted film filter for it. I would try the smaller scope first and see if your daytime seeing even supports use of your 180mm scope before spending.

Mark
Hi Mark,

Thank you very much for your answers, and waiting for more answers or explanations.

I did mentioned that if i buy 102mm i want it for DSO mainly, for solar i was planning for 152mm not 102mm, so i was thinking can i use achro for DSO so that can be nice for solar, focuser i always change, even my ST80 had a joke focuser a stock and i replaced it, but i was thinking about a middle road, so not achro and not triplet but the ED doublet, but i saw somewhere almost an affordable cheaper 102mm triplet, not great optics to be cheap and focuser is good enough.

Ok, i figured about full disk with 102mm, but i was asking multiple questions in one, i wasn't asking full disk with 102mm, but with smaller scopes if i will use 5x Powermate and then a reducer together, while for 102mm or 120 or 152mm i was asking how to stop them down so i don't need to use frontal ERF maybe.

I tested my Mak only once with a cheap Chinese solar film, wasn't bad, the result wasn't sharp or contrasty, but i saw the spot clearly, i don't remember if i used the continuum filter or not, but i can think about few things here, 1. Is continuum filter gonna add contrast for surface structure then? 2. I was using this cheap solar filter at ND 5.0, will that change if i use ND 3.8 instead? 3. People said that they prefer the Wedge for WL, so how to use the wedge with reflectors say this 7" Mak without frontal solar film then?

Don't worry about seeing, actually never talk with me about seeing, because i live in UAE, seeing here can vary from 0 to 100% i don't care, so definitely i will have decades of nice seeing and that what is matter, i really don't bother or waste time to image solar or lunar or planets or even DSO when it is bad poor seeing anyway which isn't the case with me.

KMH
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by KMH »

Tareq,

For DSO I think I would recommend something a bit bigger, like a 127mm APO. It will give 50% more light gathering and is still pretty easy to carry around and set up. Also with that focal length you can still manage to get some decent planetary imaging, at least for the larger planets. We have one from Explore Scientific, which make high quality scopes at reasonable prices. It's quite sharp edge-to-edge without the need for a field flattener, and focal reducers are available for when you want a bit more field-of-view. The focuser is decent, but we did have to upgrade because our DSO camera is fairly heavy.

Have fun!
Kevin

TareqPhoto
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TareqPhoto »

KMH wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:14 pm Tareq,

For DSO I think I would recommend something a bit bigger, like a 127mm APO. It will give 50% more light gathering and is still pretty easy to carry around and set up. Also with that focal length you can still manage to get some decent planetary imaging, at least for the larger planets. We have one from Explore Scientific, which make high quality scopes at reasonable prices. It's quite sharp edge-to-edge without the need for a field flattener, and focal reducers are available for when you want a bit more field-of-view. The focuser is decent, but we did have to upgrade because our DSO camera is fairly heavy.

Have fun!
Kevin
Hi Kevin,

So where are you from or where are you located?

Which scope for DSO is another story i didn't bring here or i will not bring it because it is a solar topic forum here, so i never ask about it, only ask if the scope can be like a double agent that is all.

I do have 6" F/4 and 8" F/5 Newtonian, those are big, i have recently last year bought 10" RC, that is the biggest i have so far, and i also have 180mm Mak which is 7" for planetary and lunar, means i am not looking for larger refractor now for DSO, if i have to then it will be something 130mm, i saw one affordable triplet but still expensive, but i can't find a place for it, because i am trying to do multiple imaging setup/system, means using 2-3 identical scope/camera combos, not looking for using 2 or more all different setup, i do have two 90mm triplets with reducers and both using same camera sensor buy one in color and one in mono, so i wanted to add third one, if i added 102mm and use say 0.6x reducer it will give me same FOV of both 90s with reducer or very slightly wider, so it can be matched, and for that i was thinking why not have that 102mm to be used for DSO and for solar, Achromatic is cheap, ED doublet is affordable a bit and can be used for both, triplet is a bit expensive because for little more i can get either 127mm or 120mm or even 130mm, so i was hoping to get that 102mm triplet less than $1000 or maximum $1200 if i have to.

Regards,
Tareq

KMH
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by KMH »

Tareq,

I understand - that all makes sense - sorry to side-track the thread a bit.
I hope you enjoy the Lunt CaK module. I've thought about getting one of those too. It's an interesting contrast to Halpha.
I'm in New Mexico/USA. The weather hasn't been great here recently either - maybe tomorrow though!

Kevin

TareqPhoto
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TareqPhoto »

KMH wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 12:24 am Tareq,

I understand - that all makes sense - sorry to side-track the thread a bit.
I hope you enjoy the Lunt CaK module. I've thought about getting one of those too. It's an interesting contrast to Halpha.
I'm in New Mexico/USA. The weather hasn't been great here recently either - maybe tomorrow though!

Kevin
Hi Kevin,

It is ok, i don't mind at all going side track or as they call it "Off topic" as long it is still in astro circle, it is just i don't want to start or talk about something here and admins/mods think we are way off or not place here for it, that's all, i am open to any astro discussion as long it can help me or we learn something or sharing.

I hope to get that CaK, because it is stuck in USA for a forward company, i sent them a message and never get a reply until now, i don't think they are out of business just now or they are still in holiday until today, the got the delivery like 10 days ago or over a week anyway, they never delay notifications longer than 2-3 days, so i am worried now, the store i bought from they shipped it already and arrived the first destination then stopped, i feel so worried that it might get either lost although i have a proof of delivery or it was sent to wrong address which is also not possible after i checked out the details many times, and the proof of delivery is a big proof that it was delivered to the correct address, will wait another couple of days then i will message both companies.

While i am waiting that CaK to show and move again i am expecting my new camera to be delivered to me today, for solar [and lunar if i have to], can't wait to use it with my Quark if the sky is clear, and also the item that came with it which can help for solar too.

Nice, New Mexico is known for dark skies, hope you are safe there and having nice life, enjoy and clear skies!

Tareq