January 11 2023 Observations

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
DeepSolar64
Way More Fun to Share It!!

January 11 2023 Observations

Post by DeepSolar64 »

Session time was from 16:00 until 17:00 UTC. Mostly clear skies with the seeing being average to just above average. Well better than the last two days! The temperature is 50F ( 10C ) SDO is doing adjustments this morning and I found it to have no images available for reference during the time I observed so I had to use a GONG WLAI image from CTIO today.

Orion 70mm Solar Telescope. 25x, 50x and 62.5x ( WLC )
The Sun is very active on the photosphere today. Five spot groups are easily seen today with additional faculae and smaller groups upping that number to at least ten, maybe eleven. The earlier KSO images show 4 numbered in the north and four numbered in the south.

AR13186 in the NE quadrant shows itself as a large spot with a tattered umbra within a penumbra with five smaller pores to it's NE. Some faculae can be seen with this system. AR13187 just east of the CLM shows itself as two tiny close together pores. To it's west in the NW quadrant lies AR13185 which is a roughly U shaped asterism of small spots/pores. Faculae can be seen near the NW limb. They may be associated with AR13180.

AR13181 is seen as an easy line of spots in the SW quadrant. Many of these show umbra-penumbra structure. Faculae are seen immediately to the SW of this line of spots. I can see a pore within it. It may or may not belong to AR13181. Further SW very close to the limb I can make out faculae that probably belong to the receding AR13183. AR13182 on the CLM shows itself as a large easy leading spot followed by smaller spots and pores. The large spot shows a curved umbra and I can make out a single light bridge at 62.5x in the umbra's eastern side. It's surrounded by an easy penumbra but I cannot see any real mottling to it. The texture to it is quite even. AR13184 in the SE quadrant is seen as two well structured spots with a bar at the SE side made up of connected spots. Faculae are seen to the east and I suspect a separate system on this. I see a pore within it. To the SE close to the limb I can see another patch of emerging faculae with two pores ( 62.5x ).

The fine solar granulation is not at all difficult to see today.

Coronado SolarMax II 60 DS. 16x, 25x and 33x. ( 656.28nm )
I can see eight active regions in the Ha chromosphere today. Four in the north with three showing NOAA labels and four in the south with three having number labeling. ( KSO )

AR13186 is seen as a bright plage in the NE quadrant. Though bright I see no clear evidence of flaring. AR13187 is seen east of the CLM as a tiny plage. Just to it's NW at/on the CLM lies an even smaller but somewhat brighter plage. To the west of this plage in the NW quadrant lies the easy plage of AR13185. A fairly dark large easy broken filament lies well to the NW of AR13185.

AR13181 in the SW quadrant is bright and easily seen as three embedded spots in plage. I can see a fine filament in the northern part of the plage. A separate plage is close by to the SW and I strongly believe this is a separate system. SW of that plage is a fine filament. A much easier curved filament is seen east of the southern tip of AR13181. AR13182 is seen as a bright large plage with an easy spot at it's western end. I can see some disturbance in the spicule field surrounding this system and I can see a fine filament within the plage mass. An easy filament is seen well south of the spot. Another easy dark filament is seen SE of AR13182. AR13184 in the SE quadrant is seen as two spots with plage to the east. Two small but not difficult filaments lie to the WNW. Dark filaments lie to the SW and SE. The SE one is a filaprom! I also notice a fine curved filament south of the plage of AR13184.

I notice three nice prominences on the limb. The SE quadrant has a low long bright one that is seen in part as a filament within the limb. The before-mentioned filaprom! The NNW limb has a flame-prom. I noticed by the end of the session that it had grown taller. It shows a lot of course mottled detail. The SSW limb shows a bright knifeblade spike with w small void at the north side of it's base.

The mottles are easily seen across the disc. I see no flares today.

Carpe Lumen!

James

GONGCTIOCH_WLAI_1-11-23.jpg
GONGCTIOCH_WLAI_1-11-23.jpg (284.68 KiB) Viewed 170 times
GONGCTIOCH_1-11-23.jpg
GONGCTIOCH_1-11-23.jpg (503.09 KiB) Viewed 170 times
KSO_CaK_1-11-23.jpg
KSO_CaK_1-11-23.jpg (208.72 KiB) Viewed 170 times

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars
Orion 70mm Solar Telescope
Celestron AstroMaster Alt/Az Mount
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 60 DS
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 90 DS
Meade Coronado AZS Alt/Az Mount
Astro-Tech AT72EDII with Altair solar wedge
Celestron NexStar 102GT with Altair solar wedge
Losmandy AZ8 Alt/Az Mount
Sky-Watcher AZGTI Alt-Az GoTo mount
Cameras: ZWO ASI178MM, PGR Grasshopper, PGR Flea
Lunt, Coronado, TeleVue, Orion and Meade eyepieces

Image Visual Observer
" Way more fun to see it! "
MAURITS

Re: January 11 2023 Observations

Post by MAURITS »

Thanks for sharing James, always interested in your report.

Regards,
Maurits

Vista del Cielo Observatory

www.vistadelcielo.be
DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

You are welcome Maurits. I am glad you like them and I hope you find them informative.

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars

Image Visual Observer
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Thanks for the report JAmes. Just usual (bad!) weather here, I see my forecast might have some sunshine on sunday even if cold, I think I need to try and get a view in between the trees, i'm missing the sun! It's looking nice and busy so will be nice to see.

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

You are welcome Mark. I hope you can get a view in, even if it is only with the SUNoculars. My weather here is forecast to be cloudy tomorrow into Saturday with a possibility of snow tomorrow night and/or Friday. The Sun has been really busy lately with all these flares. Remember to use online sources when you cannot use your personal equipment. They have a lot to offer even if it's not quite as fun.

Goodnight and good morning to you. Feed the cat before you go to work. ;-)

James

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars

Image Visual Observer
Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

No X class flares today then James :)

Great report!!
Alexandra

DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

Montana wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:08 am No X class flares today then James :)

Great report!!
Alexandra

None so far. If we had one I can only see it online. I am under an overcast sky today. SpaceWeatherLive has had a couple of M-class flare alerts though.

I do have the SUNoculars ready just in case a break pops up.

Thanks!

James

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars