A more challenging example

Averton
Way More Fun to Share It!!

A more challenging example

Post by Averton »

Here is are some proms from the SE yesterday.
In a single image there are clearly many proms in the plural.
We posted this yesterday and in our usual practice simply referred to it as SE proms as not only is there the difficulty of categorising one prom but you have many.
1- Looked to us yesterday like a surge prom and therefore an active/eruptive prominence or MNL Type A. With the benefit of another day we now know that indeed an AR has rotate into view in this location.
2- Is a filaprom. It is quiescent and due to its latitude being close to that of ARs you would say that it is not a polar prom and therefore would be an MNL Type B Intermediate type (between ARs). Shapewise it looks like it could be an arch going forward/back as opposed to across the image. Looking for shape suggestions here!
3- Again it is quiescent, not polar therefore MNL Type B and as far as shape goes an arch or platform arch according to Zirin's diagram.
4- As the current standard of MNL classification equally applies to proms and filaments, this filament is a Type B / Intermediate between ARs.
Happy to hear any other comments or ideas for this image.
2023-01-11 SE proms cat.jpg
2023-01-11 SE proms cat.jpg (857.31 KiB) Viewed 1073 times

Clare & Peter
Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Re: A more challenging example

Post by Montana »

Sounds logical to me!

I find that filaments can either be smooth topped or rough. The smooth topped ones look like caterpillars with feet, may be these are arches type when a prom. The rough are definitely the hedgerows I think.

Alexandra

rigel123

Post by rigel123 »

I agree with all your classifications in this image.

Warren

Lunt LS60T DS
Orion ED80T CF
Meade ETX LS6
Lunt CaK BF1200
Lunt WL Wedge
Baader Photographic Film
ASI174MM
Skyris 236M
Player One Saturn-M SQR

https://www.astrobin.com/users/rigel123/
oriolestation
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by oriolestation »

The excellent Averton image clearly suggests that there will be issues trying to compare prominence images shot with very narrow filters, or double stacked etalons as apposed to broader bandpass filters or single etalons. The two latter produce essentially 2-dimensional images along the limb while the narrower filters and double stack systems can include portions of the prominence on the disk (filaprom....I hate that term).

Cheers!
Jim Ferreira

Oriole Station
https://www.astrobin.com/users/oldfrankland/