Solar Spectrum Control Cable Fitting

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Solar Spectrum Control Cable Fitting

Post by marktownley »

Does anyone know what the cable for connecting the power supply to a solar spectrum etalon is?
solar-spectrum-verlangerungskabel-170m-00c.jpg
solar-spectrum-verlangerungskabel-170m-00c.jpg (151.15 KiB) Viewed 1519 times
Is it just an 8 pin din plug?

Thanks

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
MAURITS
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Re: Solar Spectrum Control Cable Fitting

Post by MAURITS »

I don't know Mark because mine is the 5V DC version with a complete other cable.

Regards,
Maurits

Vista del Cielo Observatory

www.vistadelcielo.be
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Thanks Maurits. Mine is 12v version.

I have an 8 pin din extension lead arriving today from Amazon, I will see if it is a fit.

Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
Valery

Post by Valery »

Hi Mark,

Do you now own a Solar Spectrum etalon? If yes, which one and how do you plan to use it?

Valery.

"Solar H alpha activity is the most dynamic and compelling thing you can see in a telescope, so spend accordingly." (c) Bob Yoesle.

Largest full size 185 - 356mm Dielectric Energy Rejection Filters (D-ERF) by ARIES Instruments.
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Valery wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:03 am Hi Mark,

Do you now own a Solar Spectrum etalon? If yes, which one and how do you plan to use it?

Valery.
Hi Valery.

Yes I do. I recently came upon a RG38 0.3a.

I'm hopefully will get to use it later today when the sun comes from behind the trees. I am going to start off with it in the 100mm f8 APM with a TZ4. I have a 38mm 70 deg fov eyepiece that should frame a nice full disk.

Image20230205_100939 by Mark Townley, on Flickr

I guess i'll use it on a range of my scopes for imaging, when seeing allows i'm particularly looking forward to trying it on the 8" HaT.

Mark

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

So, to answer my own question. The 8 pin din extension cable was delivered, it fits fine and the solar spectrum works fine. That means I no longer have to mount the power supply on the filter itself, it can move to 'off' the scope. That will reduce a bit of weight off the end...

MAURITS

Post by MAURITS »

Have a nice time with the new filter Mark.

Regards,
Maurits

Vista del Cielo Observatory

www.vistadelcielo.be
mdwmark
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by mdwmark »

HI Mark,
The control cable, from the controller to the oven. For a long time has been 8 pin DIN , only using 7 conductor 20 AWG . But 22AWG will work also.
Years ago I used a power supply that provided 12v dc and line power to the controller. But the cable to the oven was be the same.
If it is a ASO or RG , then it is the red and black for the power to the TEC. The So 1.5 it will be the black and white for the TEC( it uses a smaller TEC). Blue /orange are the RTD feed back. green and brown are for the fan.
If the temperature goes the wrong way with the new cable. Just reverse the TEC power wires.
To keep up with the new regulations in Europe. All controllers are now 12vDC input or lower.
From the image , that controller had the low voltage power supply mounted inside the control box. This is not how we do it now( back to regulations).
I prefer the new setup. If the power supply fails. It can be repaired without sending it in. That is a my common theme. Everything but the oven can be replaced in the field without sending it in. If the customer is familiar electronics .
Mark

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

mdwmark wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:39 pm HI Mark,
The control cable, from the controller to the oven. For a long time has been 8 pin DIN , only using 7 conductor 20 AWG . But 22AWG will work also.
Years ago I used a power supply that provided 12v dc and line power to the controller. But the cable to the oven was be the same.
If it is a ASO or RG , then it is the red and black for the power to the TEC. The So 1.5 it will be the black and white for the TEC( it uses a smaller TEC). Blue /orange are the RTD feed back. green and brown are for the fan.
If the temperature goes the wrong way with the new cable. Just reverse the TEC power wires.
To keep up with the new regulations in Europe. All controllers are now 12vDC input or lower.
From the image , that controller had the low voltage power supply mounted inside the control box. This is not how we do it now( back to regulations).
I prefer the new setup. If the power supply fails. It can be repaired without sending it in. That is a my common theme. Everything but the oven can be replaced in the field without sending it in. If the customer is familiar electronics .
Mark
Hi Mark.

Thank you for the input, very much appreciated.

The filter in question is a RG38 0.3a, serial plate below:

Image2023-02-08_09-00-45 by Mark Townley, on Flickr

Image20230205_084913 by Mark Townley, on Flickr

Image20230205_084942 by Mark Townley, on Flickr

The 'standby' cable I bought of Amazon was rather thin, and got warm (not hot, but warm to touch), the picture below taken by thermal camera shows the amazon cable being warm.

ImageThermalCamera2023-02-05_16-16-24+0000-orig by Mark Townley, on Flickr

ImageThermalCamera2023-02-05_16-16-24+0000 by Mark Townley, on Flickr

I've not a 'new' extension cable being delivered that is heavier guage so the cable getting warm issue should be solved.

What sort of amps is the filter pulling from the battery? It seems power hungry! (not a problem!). Also, is there anything else you can tell me about this particular filter - when was it made etc?

I've only got to try it once at the moment (owned it a week) and i;m very pleased!

Thanks in advance.

Mark

mdwmark
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by mdwmark »

Hi Mark,
the ser# shows it was shipped September 2014. The TEC chip should be an 127-4A or 4 Amp 15V max, 127 design . It should be in the 3 Amp range when it is heating, because the power supply is 12vdc. I started with chips with lower power. But found out that in the real world. You need more then 10 watts of power to control the set point.
The power on the wire is not constant. so it should handle the amperage with little voltage drop. The controller is a PID control. So the closer you get to the set point the shorter the power cycle is on. That is why I said the power in not constant.
I personally like to have the filters run more on the hot side. That way you get less effect from the extra energy from the solar image. Even with an DERF.
Mark

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Great info, thanks Mark, very much appreciated.