Start of imaging project 100mm F5 Celestron

Frankenscope? Let's see it!***be advised that NOTHING in this forum has been safety tested and you are reading and using these posts at your own peril. blah, blah, blah... dont mess around with your eyesight when it comes to solar astronomy. Use appropriate filtration at all times...
AndiesHandyHandies
Way More Fun to Share It!!
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Start of imaging project 100mm F5 Celestron

Post by AndiesHandyHandies »

Hi

After finding my 100mm Lunt ERF when looking at internal ERFs for visual I had a look at the 100mm scope and the ERF in its home made holder and it was just a tight fit in the dew cap. But the glass was gripped.

Went to Rods and showed him the bits. One option was to skim the thin rings.

I said somewhere I had read a ERF just fitted in the objective housing. And lo and behold it did. The back holding ring empty was a push fit down the dew cap. Once in the right place we did a pence /cent mod and black PVC taped the dew cap on.

Still retains the dew cap with 50mm hole in for F10. Stack Baader TZ2 and 2" ES TE for F40.

For 100mm add a 1.25" ES TE?

As the ERF is only IR coated I assume a UV-IR as a first filter is a good idea.

And maybe a REDrgb dichoric after?

I had a few goes with the 80mm F15 between clouds. Some reflections from a final 35nnm so removed it for now.

Is it worth having a deep red filter in front of the Quark blocking filter as well?

When using the Lunt for visual there was some background red scatter. I assume this can be cut out in processing.

Cheers. Andrew.