March 27 2023 Observations

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
DeepSolar64
Way More Fun to Share It!!

March 27 2023 Observations

Post by DeepSolar64 »

My session time was from 15:03 until 15:57 UTC. The skies are partly to mostly cloudy. The seeing is however above average. The temperature is 69F. I am back home in Edneyville NC today.

Orion 70mm Solar Telescope. 25x, 50x, 62.5x and 100x. ( WLC )
Ten spot-bearing active regions are seen across the solar photosphere today. Five in the north with all bearing numbers and five in the south with four bearing numbers.

AR13264 is seen in the NE quadrant as a structured spot with a light bridge jutting into the northern side of it's umbra. The penumbra is easily seen. I can see faculae to the ENE and also well to the SE of the spot. SDO HMI 2K continuum shows a tiny pore in a small patch very near the limb but I cannot pick it out in the scope. AR13265, a new region that developed yesterday is easily visible in the NW quadrant, east of AR13260. AR13265 is a dipolar region with a structured light bridged eastern spot being led by a mass of fused spots/pores. WNW of AR13265 lies the large spot of AR13260. It's umbra tapered NE with a pore at the end near a light gap in the penumbra. I see no light bridge in the umbra. AR13263 is a mass of spots and pores to the SW of AR13260. The spots are on the western side of the group. AR13258 is a small structured spot near the limb among a scattered patch of faculae.

AR13256 in the SW quadrant is seen as a sizable structured spot hinting umbral light bridging. The penumbra is easy to see but I see little if any mottling at all. I can see a couple of tiny nearby pores. To it's SW I see two pores bridged by faculae. It's an unnumbered system near the limb. To the NE of AR13256 lies AR13259. It's a dipole with two masses of penumbra infused pores. Three scattered pores lie to it's north and NE. AR13257 lies to the ESE of AR13259 and is a structured spot with a smaller spot just to it's NE. It's what remains of a larger spot. It's southern neighbor has died off. AR13262 in the SE Quadrant is seen as a structured spot that shows a notch in the northern part of it's umbra with some finer additional light bridging seen at 100x. I can see a slight amount of mottling and a rough penumbral edge is hinted at 100x. A tiny dark pore is seen without difficulty at 62.5x and 100x though it is more obvious at 100x. 100x shows a very tiny pore, south of the spot. It's difficult. Faculae can be seen near the SE limb.

The fine granulation can easily be seen as a textured surface to the photosphere. I see it best at 50x. But even at 100x I can see no individual granules.

Coronado SolarMax II 60 DS. 16x and 25x. ( 656.28nm )
I got ten active regions in the Ha chromosphere but it took some study. I had trouble getting a sharp cleanly tuned image for most of the session. High clouds maybe? GONG Teide and KSO Austria Ha images show most features easier than I could see them. Five are seen in the north with four having NOAA numbers. Five are also seen in the southern hemisphere with four being numbered.

AR13264 is visible with some difficulty in the NE quadrant. I find the spot easy to see but I cannot with certainty see the plage. Even the filament north of the spot does not show itself well. WNW of AR13264 lies a faint plage. It's unnumbered on the KSO images. AR13265 ( NW Quad ) is seen as plage and a spot. The small filaments are difficult to see. AR13260 is seen as an easy spot with a thin but not too difficult filament to it's east. It's plage can be seen to the south of the spot. AR13263 SW of AR13260 has a brighter plage but a smaller harder to see spot. I see a group of filaments NW of AR13260-63 nearing the limb that might make good prominences over the next two or three days as they hit the limb. Hopefully I can photograph them. AR13258 is south of these but I cannot see it with certainty.

AR13256-57-59 can be seen in the SW quadrant as three plages in close proximity. The spot of AR13256 is easy to see with the others being smaller and less conspicuous. An easy filament is seen north-east-southeast of the spot of AR13256. I see a fairly difficult fine straight filament well east of AR13257. I see AR13262 as a spot lying west of a rough S shaped plage. A more difficult plage lies just to it's SE. I can see an unlabeled spot of plage close to the SE limb. A filaprom lies to it's south.

I do see several prominences around the limb but I took no time to study them. I am hoping for nice proms on the NW limb tomorrow and hoping for the time and weather to image them.

The normal mottles are visible across the Ha disc today.

It's Monday...Back to work. :-(

James

SDOHMIc_Color2K_3-27-23.jpeg
SDOHMIc_Color2K_3-27-23.jpeg (1.34 MiB) Viewed 131 times
GONGTOSP_Ha_3-27-23.jpeg
GONGTOSP_Ha_3-27-23.jpeg (460.36 KiB) Viewed 131 times
KSO_CaK_3-27-23.jpeg
KSO_CaK_3-27-23.jpeg (206.39 KiB) Viewed 131 times

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars
Orion 70mm Solar Telescope
Celestron AstroMaster Alt/Az Mount
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 60 DS
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 90 DS
Meade Coronado AZS Alt/Az Mount
Astro-Tech AT72EDII with Altair solar wedge
Celestron NexStar 102GT with Altair solar wedge
Losmandy AZ8 Alt/Az Mount
Sky-Watcher AZGTI Alt-Az GoTo mount
Cameras: ZWO ASI178MM, PGR Grasshopper, PGR Flea
Lunt, Coronado, TeleVue, Orion and Meade eyepieces

Image Visual Observer
" Way more fun to see it! "
MAURITS

Re: March 27 2023 Observations

Post by MAURITS »

Thanks for that informative report James.

Regards,
Maurits

Vista del Cielo Observatory

www.vistadelcielo.be
DeepSolar64

Re: March 27 2023 Observations

Post by DeepSolar64 »

MAURITS wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:25 pm Thanks for that informative report James.
You are welcome, Maurits.

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars
Orion 70mm Solar Telescope
Celestron AstroMaster Alt/Az Mount
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 60 DS
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 90 DS
Meade Coronado AZS Alt/Az Mount
Astro-Tech AT72EDII with Altair solar wedge
Celestron NexStar 102GT with Altair solar wedge
Losmandy AZ8 Alt/Az Mount
Sky-Watcher AZGTI Alt-Az GoTo mount
Cameras: ZWO ASI178MM, PGR Grasshopper, PGR Flea