Weather - If 2024 was this year

DHALL
The Sun?
The Sun?

Weather - If 2024 was this year

Post by DHALL »

Hi All!
I'm Don from the DFW TX area, and have been looking forward to next year's event with great anticipation.
I was looking at the long range forecast for next weekend, particularly, Saturday April 8th, and it's bad, real bad.
So I decided to then look down and up the path of totality to see what the forecast is for other locations, and it's bad, virtually the entire path is going to have rain, overcast or at best, mostly cloudy.
The only exception is the Maine - Canada border at Houlton, Me., and it's not really great.
I really want this to be a GOOD omen for next year, but I must say I am a bit nervous now.
For the past couple of years on 4/8 I've been going to "the spot" I want to be at in 2024, and the weather was perfect last year, and nearly perfect in 2021.
For the 2017 Eclipse I went to Columbia Missouri, weather was good, not great, thunderstorms to the north blew high clouds over and we didn't get the intense darkening, there was still a glow all around, had a fantastic time though.
BTW, the spot is in Ennis Texas, at Veteran's Memorial Park.

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Re: Weather - If 2024 was this year

Post by Montana »

A very warm welcome Don :) oh dear!! this is one reason which puts me off travelling half way round the world :( We had a wonderful time in 2017 in Oregon with cloudless blue skies which I am sure can never be beaten. I have been looking for more than a year and still can't decide on this one. I wonder whether to do a quick one week trip to Canada, visit Niagara and if we see the eclipse it is a bonus but I wouldn't hold my breath. I've seen 2 eclipses, 1999 raining, 2017 the real sunny deal.

Alexandra

DHALL
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by DHALL »

The final evaluation from this experiment is that some holes did open up in the large cloud mass that was predicted.
Western Arkansas up through southern Missouri and to Indianapolis are look pretty good, Cleveland and Buffalo are OK, but clouds are moving in for the period of Totality.
Most of Texas is a completely overcast, so if this were next year, then I would have been traveling.

If I had to make a decision last night, I would have gone to Poplar Bluff, Missouri.

BTW, I've seen lots of news reports today talking about the eclipse next.

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

Thanks for the weather report, it is a tough one this eclipse ;)

Alexandra