Changing the focuser of a Lunt 40mm

Frankenscope? Let's see it!***be advised that NOTHING in this forum has been safety tested and you are reading and using these posts at your own peril. blah, blah, blah... dont mess around with your eyesight when it comes to solar astronomy. Use appropriate filtration at all times...
MChiara
The Sun?
The Sun?

Changing the focuser of a Lunt 40mm

Post by MChiara »

Good evening, I bought a lunt40. I'd like to replace the original focuser, but I can't unscrew it from its seat even with considerable force. How can i fix this?
thanks

davidem27
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Re: Changing the focuser of a Lunt 40mm

Post by davidem27 »

No reply for you MChiara :(
Welcome to SolarChat Forum.

White light: Skywatcher 120 ED and Borg 76 ED with Baader Herschel Wedge and filters
H-alpha: Lunt LS50T Ha BF600, 120 ED modified by Lunt etalon. Thousand Oaks 0.9 Å Prominance filter
Calcium II K: Lunt B1200

www.volpetta.com

We are curious. We need equipment, we need seeing, we need time
Oak
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by Oak »

There is glue on the threads but they will come apart with some force. The black piece at the end of the tube is an adapter for whatever dimension the tube is to the helical focuser which is about M35. Some people use strap wrenches or heat guns for similar problems, but I did not need to with mine.

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

WElcome to the forum, sorry, I don't have a Lunt 40.

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
Rusted
Way More Fun to Share It!!
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Post by Rusted »

Dismantling fragile parts of an optical instrument requires great care. Damage will reduce the value catastrophically!

Try wearing grippy, rubber, work gloves. Not all rubber gloves offer a good grip. So test them out before purchase.
Have somebody hold the main tube, again while wearing rubber gloves, while you try to turn the focuser.

If that fails then look for a car oil filter remover with a rubber strap and plastic body. Look up strap wrench online.
Or even buy two of them. They are inexpensive and useful for plumbing. Or even for removing oil filters.
The straps will obviously have to be fitted in opposition to each other to unscrew the focuser.
Don't try to turn the focuser by the knobs. You will bend or break the pinion shaft.

Silicone cooking mats can be very grippy if those are available locally. Try supermarkets.

I have even used climber's Prusik loops on occasions while working alone.
Don't try to hold the main tube in a vice! You will ruin the finish or crush something.

http://fullerscopes.blogspot.dk/

H-alpha: Baader 160mm D-ERF, iStar 150/10 H-alpha objective, 2" Baader 35nm H-a, 2" Beloptik KG3,
Lunt 60MT etalon, Lunt B1200S2 BF, Assorted T-S GPCs or 2x "Shorty" Barlow, ZWO ASI174.
MChiara
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by MChiara »

Ok, thank you very much for the advice, I will try to do as you advised me.
If I manage to unscrew it I'll update you.

hopskipson
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by hopskipson »

Did you ever manage to get the focuser unscrewed? What focuser are you planning on upgrading to? I have a 40 coming on Monday and am considering upgrading it also.

James
These pretzels are making me thirsty! (C.C.)
The Quark introduced me to this wonderful side of the hobby and the sun hasn’t disappointed yet.
Solar Equipment: Solar Spectrum RG-18 0.3A, Coronado Solarmax 90mm etalon Isle of Man SN-001, Tuscon SN-380 and Meade SM2, Lunt LS80 DS, Quark Chromosphere, Lunt 2" wedge, 2-Lunt CaK II 1200, Baader 3.8 and 5.0 solar film in 208mm cells, and 3D printed Sol'Ex SHG, Lunt 40mm
Coming Soon: Solar Spectrum CaK II <1A filter