H-alpha, H-beta and CaH SHG images from May 21

I LOVE finding out about different ways to appreciate the Sun and light in general. Use this forum to post your info or questions about various outside the mainstream ways to appreciate our life giving star!
thesmiths
Almost There...
Almost There...

H-alpha, H-beta and CaH SHG images from May 21

Post by thesmiths »

In This is Solarchat I posted a mosaic of these three wavelengths: viewtopic.php?t=40803. I will post the individual images here. 106mm aperture, 720mm focal length telescope. The Ca-H image was done with a 72mm aperture mask (and probably the H-beta might have benefited from a 90mm mask). ZWO 183MM camera under FireCapture, AS!3, ImPPG, Photoshop Elements. All scans were done in the DEC direction with an ROI length of 3304 pixels; width 120 pixels for Ca-H, 100 pixels for H-alpha, 70 pixels for H-beta -- the width of the ROI depended on the width of the spectral line. The narrower the ROI, the higher the fps the camera can output and therefore the higher the scan rate and shorter the acquisition time.

H-alpha, stack of 16 scans. Exposure 2ms, gain zero, 386fps.

H-beta, stack of 12 scans. Exposure 0.8ms, gain zero, 479fps.

Ca-H, stack of 9 scans. Exposure 3ms, gain 13%, 318fps.

Ca-H SHG data reprocessed to bring out the Calcium prominences. There is good correspondence with the H-alpha prominences (see inverted H-alpha image below)

rsfoto
Way More Fun to Share It!!
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Re: H-alpha, H-beta and CaH SHG images from May 21

Post by rsfoto »

Hi Doug,

Astonishing SHG images. They look like if they were made with etalons of normal filters but not with a Spectroheliograph.

Very well done. I have been clouded out since several days but had time to finally finish the braking system of my Land Rover and it is working as it should work.

regards Rainer

Observatorio Real de 14
San Luis Potosi Mexico

North 22° West 101°
KMH
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by KMH »

Those are terrific - very impressive!

Kevin

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

Oh my!!! these are delicious, I can't work out whether Hbeta or CaH is my favourite :bow :bow :bow :hamster: what a box of chocolates!

Alexandra