DayStar Quantum - South England

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
Merlin66
Librarian
Librarian

DayStar Quantum - South England

Post by Merlin66 »

One of my contacts in the Southampton area, UK has had a DayStar Quantum donated to their society.
They have no experience with a Quantum and are looking for some help and advice.
If you are UK based and in a position to help let me know.
ken

"Astronomical Spectroscopy - The Final Frontier" - to boldly go where few amateurs have gone before
https://groups.io/g/astronomicalspectroscopy  
http://astronomicalspectroscopy.com
"Astronomical Spectroscopy for Amateurs" and
"Imaging Sunlight - using a digital spectroheliograph" - Springer
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Re: DayStar Quantum - South England

Post by marktownley »

Masybe get them to jump on here? I'm sure we can get it up and running.

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
step_henmartin
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by step_henmartin »

Hi, I was the person who contacted Ken for help. As he mentioned our society has been bequeathed a Daystar Quantum from a late member. As yet I haven't seen it myself to check what model, as Southampton University have been taking a look at it to verify it's receiving power OK. Apparently when switched on it displays a 'random' number, not anything like the numbers it should according to the manual. It doesn't appear to ever reach temperature (the LED indicator remains orange) and a different target bandwidth can't be set. We currently don't have an ERF or suitable scope operating at f30 to test it on. Any help gratefully received!

Bob Yoesle
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by Bob Yoesle »

Sounds like the electronic temperature control module and/or display has a problem and will need to be replaced.

Quantums, especially PE versions, are now quite expensive and therefore valuable. I would get the specs off the etalon which will tell you bandpass, the on-band temp. setting, serial no./date of manufacture, etc. Contacting DayStar directly will likely lead to some suggestions or a possible return for repair. Hopefully the blockers and etalon are fine.

Alternatively, a DIY temperature control could be improvised and tested to see what temp. brings the etalon on-band using a hydrogen spectrum tube.

Ha lamp tuning range clr labeled.jpg
Ha lamp tuning range clr labeled.jpg (40.55 KiB) Viewed 2116 times
Peter Zetner

Depending of the telescope aperture you intend to use, the Baader or Altair Astro DERFs are better than DayStars'.

Alternatively, some people have placed DayStar etalons in a TEC controlled enclosure similar to Solar Spectrum (Baader), but this needs to be done very carefully, as the etalon stack is usually under a bit of compression when assembled, and disassembly can be hazardous to the etalon.

Bob

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Curiosity is the father of knowledge; uncertainty is the mother of wisdom.

Dark-Sky Defenders
Goldendale Observatory
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

I would check the power supply being used is delivering enough current. My solar spectrum is very current hungry and chews through batteries and is unforgiving of wall wart power supplies.

Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
step_henmartin
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by step_henmartin »

That was my first thought, and what the university have been asked to check out. I'll hopefully get my hands on it shortly to confirm. Unfortunately we don't have an ERF at hand, and don't want to go to the expense of buying one if the Quantum is defective. Would anyone in our area have a suitable ERF/scope for testing purposes perhaps?
Thanks for your help

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

Does anyone in your local astronomical society own a D-ERF? it may be worth asking. It is possible to take a trek up to the north of England where we live but it is a long way to come if the Sun goes in :( A local person you could visit in 20 minutes would give you a higher chance of getting to test it.

Check around the forum too, look for someone who has a south England type address in their profile and PM them?

Alexandra

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

step_henmartin wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 4:55 pm That was my first thought, and what the university have been asked to check out. I'll hopefully get my hands on it shortly to confirm. Unfortunately we don't have an ERF at hand, and don't want to go to the expense of buying one if the Quantum is defective. Would anyone in our area have a suitable ERF/scope for testing purposes perhaps?
Thanks for your help
You don't necessarily need an erf to test it.

Whatever refractor you are going to use it on just stop it down to f30. If it was a 100mm f7.5 then stopping it down to 25mm will give you f30. The view will be dim but you will be able to see if it works.

Does it feel like it is getting warm when power is applied? What is being used to power it?

step_henmartin
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by step_henmartin »

So we can test it without an ERF safely just by stopping down the scope? I'll give that a go when I get hold of the unit and get back to you all! Thanks for now.

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

When you do get hold of it post some pictures up here, especially if you are getting dodgy display. There are lots of people here familiar with the filter who will be able to input.

step_henmartin
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by step_henmartin »

OK, I now have the Quantum. The display reads 21474 and when one of the buttons are pressed displays the target of 6562.8. So far the numbers haven't changed and the light remains orange.

step_henmartin
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by step_henmartin »

Some images
Attachments
20230614_123051.jpg
20230614_123051.jpg (1.79 MiB) Viewed 1843 times
20230614_123202.jpg
20230614_123202.jpg (2.02 MiB) Viewed 1843 times
20230614_124054.jpg
20230614_124054.jpg (1.92 MiB) Viewed 1843 times
20230614_124051.jpg
20230614_124051.jpg (1.82 MiB) Viewed 1843 times

step_henmartin
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by step_henmartin »

The specs
Attachments
20230614_123127.jpg
20230614_123127.jpg (1.82 MiB) Viewed 1842 times

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Ok, straight from image number 2. The blocking filters are trashed (the red annulus filter). That is something that you (or anyone here can fix) - if you want to use it, it needs to go back to Daystar.

step_henmartin
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by step_henmartin »

:( Time to contact Daystar then. I did think it looked suspect
Any ideas on why it doesn't reach correct target bandwith? Heating element?

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

step_henmartin wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 7:40 am Any ideas on why it doesn't reach correct target bandwith? Heating element?
It's not something you can fix. It needs to go back to Daystar for the blocker refit so I would let them deal with the whole thing.

Sorry! I wish there was better news.

step_henmartin
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by step_henmartin »

Can't actually get a reply from Daystar via email, anyone had any success there in the past?

rsfoto
Way More Fun to Share It!!
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Post by rsfoto »

step_henmartin wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 7:03 pm Can't actually get a reply from Daystar via email, anyone had any success there in the past?
Probably

"CLOSED due to Richness"

JUST KIDDING

Yes, it is a problem to communicate with them.

My only advice is, send them the same e-mail daily ...

I had a big problem with them and they are not very communicative but I read somewhere here that it seems to be a disease with these Soalr Filter builders ...

Sorry if this is not helpful but I am only writing about my personal experience with DayStar ...

Here is the e-mail from the CEO Jen Winters. Perhaps she answers :roll:

[email protected]

regards Rainer

Observatorio Real de 14
San Luis Potosi Mexico

North 22° West 101°
step_henmartin
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by step_henmartin »

Tried her email first!

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Can you try messaging / posting on their Facebook if you use it?

step_henmartin
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by step_henmartin »

Good idea

Bob Yoesle
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by Bob Yoesle »

Noticed the Operating Temp is 97 F (36 C). 97 F is really low for a solid-spaced etalon unless you're in the arctic. The typical operating temp. should be 30 or more degrees F higher (~ 130 F or 55 C) - minimum. The serial number 080807 indicates the filter manufacture date is August 8, 2007 - so the filter is out of the ten year warranty period for the blockers, and DayStar charges $995 USD for the replacement - and it probably will be another soft-coated blocker.

You definitely would need to use a DERF for minimizing etalon external heating. Otherwise the etalon might be off-band high most of the time.

If it were mine, especially given the low etalon operating temp. I would send it to Solar Spectrum and have the etalon evaluated. If its as good as it should be, I'd have it placed in one of their TEC housings and the blocker replaced. The TEC module offers better thermal control and can provide the cooling that might be needed for this particular etalon if/when ambient temps preclude on-band operation. Solar Spectrum might also be able to replace the blocker with a hard-coated filter (more expensive than a soft coated blocker), but will have greater longevity.

Bob

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Curiosity is the father of knowledge; uncertainty is the mother of wisdom.

Dark-Sky Defenders
Goldendale Observatory