June 4 2023 Observations

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
DeepSolar64
Way More Fun to Share It!!

June 4 2023 Observations

Post by DeepSolar64 »

My session time was from 18:50 until 19:25 UTC. Partly cloudy skies. The seeing is fair/average. The temperature is 82F ( 27.7C ). From my dad's just outside of Lowndesville S.C. Breezy. Today my 18 year old Nephew, Jimmy, observed with me.

Observing!.JPG
Observing!.JPG (10.67 KiB) Viewed 123 times

Orion 70mm Solar Telescope. 25x and 50x. ( WLC )
I could see seven active regions on the photosphere today. Four of these are in the northern hemisphere and all carry NOAA labeling. Four were seen in the southern hemisphere. Three of these carry labels.

AR13326 was seen in the NE quadrant as one structured spot in the western end of a patch of faculae. AR13320 was seen as a small structured spot just west of the CLM. Four pores were seen east of the spot with the furthest well east of it and the CLM. I doubt this furthest pore to be a member of the group. AR13325 was seen as a small spot in the NW quadrant.

AR13319 was seen as three spots very near the SW limb. The center spot was hard to see. Just east of the Central Longitudinal Meridian in the SE quad lies AR13321. It shows an easy umbra and penumbra. I see a light bridge within the umbra. To the NW of AR13321 lies the sizeable group of AR13323. AR13323 was seen as an E-W grouping of spots and pores. The easternmost and westernmost spots of the group show clear umbra-penumbra form. The spots between them are smaller penumbrated spots and pores. An unlabeled scattering of small spots and pores was seen among faculae near the SE limb.

The fine granulation of the photosphere could be seen but was not overly apparent.

Coronado SolarMax II 60 DS. 16x and 25x. ( 656.28nm )
I could see nine active regions in the chromosphere today. Five are in the northern hemisphere with four of these showing labels. Four regions are seen in the southern hemisphere with three showing NOAA number labeling.

AR13326 was seen as a spot east and northeast of a patch of plage. Two filaments are seen north and northwest of AR13326. GONG BBSO Ha shows the large filament in the far NE to be a filaprom but I could not clearly see the connection in the scope. The prom itself was barely visible. The plage of AR13320 lies on the CLM. A small spot was seen just west of the plage. A separate extension of plage was seen just to the east. Time will tell if this is a separate region or a wide dipole. A couple of filaments were seen just NE of AR13320. One was rather difficult to see. A semicircular filament against a faint plage was seen well north of AR13320. AR13325 and AR13324 were two close together plages seen in the NW quadrant. AR13325 has a spot. GONG BBSO Ha shows a filament very near the NW limb. I did not take note of it.

A patch of plage was seen very near the SW limb. It's associated with AR13319. Just east of the CLM I could see the spot and plage of AR13321. The plage lies just east of the spot. I could see two spots with plage between them that are associated with AR13323 in the SE quadrant. Two filaments lie south of this region. A plage was seen close to the SE limb. A filament lies just south of it. I could see a southern polar crown of filaments but it takes a close look to see. It's not obvious.

I could see a couple of low prominences on the NE limb. Nothing spectacular. The NW limb showed a prom with two voids. I could see an easy prom on the SW limb.

The mottling of the chromosphere is visible.

Good Night and Good Morning.

James

2023_06_04_18.5953UTC_SDOHMIc_1K_Helioviewer.png
2023_06_04_18.5953UTC_SDOHMIc_1K_Helioviewer.png (294.96 KiB) Viewed 124 times
GONGBBSOCA_Ha_6-4-23.jpg
GONGBBSOCA_Ha_6-4-23.jpg (636.26 KiB) Viewed 124 times

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars
Orion 70mm Solar Telescope
Celestron AstroMaster Alt/Az Mount
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 60 DS
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 90 DS
Meade Coronado AZS Alt/Az Mount
Astro-Tech AT72EDII with Altair solar wedge
Celestron NexStar 102GT with Altair solar wedge
Losmandy AZ8 Alt/Az Mount
Sky-Watcher AZGTI Alt-Az GoTo mount
Cameras: ZWO ASI178MM, PGR Grasshopper, PGR Flea
Lunt, Coronado, TeleVue, Orion and Meade eyepieces

Image Visual Observer
" Way more fun to see it! "
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Re: June 4 2023 Observations

Post by marktownley »

Nice report thanks JAmes, I got away early today from work and did some visual with the SM90 and 15mm TV plossl, the views were nice!

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
DeepSolar64

Re: June 4 2023 Observations

Post by DeepSolar64 »

marktownley wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:51 pm Nice report thanks JAmes, I got away early today from work and did some visual with the SM90 and 15mm TV plossl, the views were nice!
You did better than I did. I had mostly cloudy skies and got only a SUNocular view.

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars
Orion 70mm Solar Telescope
Celestron AstroMaster Alt/Az Mount
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 60 DS
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 90 DS
Meade Coronado AZS Alt/Az Mount
Astro-Tech AT72EDII with Altair solar wedge
Celestron NexStar 102GT with Altair solar wedge
Losmandy AZ8 Alt/Az Mount
Sky-Watcher AZGTI Alt-Az GoTo mount
Cameras: ZWO ASI178MM, PGR Grasshopper, PGR Flea
Lunt, Coronado, TeleVue, Orion and Meade eyepieces