June 9 2023 Observations.

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
DeepSolar64
Way More Fun to Share It!!

June 9 2023 Observations.

Post by DeepSolar64 »

My session time is from 14:30 until 15:30 UTC. The skies are mostly clear but are quite hazy. The seeing is a bit below average. The temperature is 67F ( 19.4C ) towards the latter half of the session.

Observing!.JPG
Observing!.JPG (10.67 KiB) Viewed 160 times

Orion 70mm Solar Telescope. 25x and 50x. ( WLC )
I can see ten active spot regions on the photosphere today. Four of these are labeled in the northern hemisphere on the KSO images today. One additional tiny pore has no label. The southern hemisphere shows five labeled regions on the KSO images today.

AR13329 shows itself as a dipolar group. The leading spot shows a light bridged umbra splitting the umbra in half. SDOHMIc 2K shows the umbra having three components. I can visually pick up the third umbral component as well. An oval penumbra surrounds the umbrae of this spot. A structured spot trails the group with a scattering of penumbriated pores or small fused spots just west of it. This group lies just east of the CLM in the NE quadrant. AR13326 shows itself as a near-round structured spot. That is showing both an umbra and penumbra. It's just west of the CLM in the NW quadrant. Just SSW of it lies AR13330. I can barely make out two tiny pores here in the scope. Higher quality SDOHMIc 2K images show 5. Nearing the western limb just above the equator I can see a single pore amid some faculae. This is all that is seen of AR13320. Going back to the NE quadrant I search out and find a small dark pore well SE of AR13329. It has no NOAA label.

AR13321 in the SW quadrant is seen as an easy structured spot. I can see a fine light bridge within the umbra and a light area within the NW part of the penumbra upon close examination. Some faculae surrounds the spot and they are faculae NW near the limb as well. AR13323 is seen as a sparsely scattered group of spots and pores NW of AR13321. The largest/easiest is in the NE part of the group. AR13327, just east of the CLM is a large mass of irregular-shaped penumbriated spots and pores. At least two has proper umbrae. AR13331 is seen as a dipole of two spots with a pore trailing the greater leading spot. The leading spot shows a bent umbra with a finely ragged edge surrounded by a penumbra. The trailing spot well past the pore though smaller than the lead spot still shows umbra-penumbra form. Some light faculae are visible here. To the NNE of AR13331 lies a small spot marking the position of AR13332 just south of the equator in the SE quadrant.

The granulation texture is visible but no obvious.

Coronado SolarMax II 60 DS. 16x and 25x. ( 656.28nm )
Nine active region plages are seen across the Ha Chromosphere today. Four are seen in the northern hemisphere with three being NOAA labeled on the KSO imagery. Five regions are visible in the southern hemisphere with all being NOAA labeled on the KSO images. In general, filaments seem harder to see today. Only three are really easy. Two in the far north and one in the far NW. I could also see the polar crown in the south. All the other filaments were harder to see and the smaller ones not visible at all.

The NE quad shows a low contrast area of plage SE of AR13329. WL showed a small pore there. AR13329 near the CLM shows itself as a couple of spots among looping plage. Across the Central Longitudinal Meridian lies AR13326 which is visible mostly by its spot. Some plage is seen immediately to it's east. AR13330 to the SSW of AR13326 is hard to localize. I see low contrast plage in the viscinity but the plage where WLC showed the two pores is very faint. I am unsure I could see it. Just east of it is brighter plage. Is that associated with AR13330 is the question? There is some uncertainty here. I did not notice AR13320 in the far SW at all in Ha.

AR13321 in the far SW quadrant is seen as a spot and plage. The elongated plage of AR13323, NE of AR13321 is easily seen. Across the CLM in the SE quadrant I see AR13327 as a plage with some difficult spots and a difficult filament. More filaments are located SW and SE of this region. AR13331 is seen as two spots with plage between them. AR13332 is seen as a tiny plage NNE of AR13332.

A nice prom on the SE limb almost bridges together into a complete loop. It resembles two large horns!

I'll let KSO handle CaK for me!

Happy! Happy!! it's FRIDAY!!! :hamster:

James

GONGBoulder(TC)CO_WLAI_6-9-23.jpeg
GONGBoulder(TC)CO_WLAI_6-9-23.jpeg (329.38 KiB) Viewed 158 times
GONGBBSOCA_Ha_6-9-23.jpeg
GONGBBSOCA_Ha_6-9-23.jpeg (472.38 KiB) Viewed 158 times
KSO_CaK_6-9-23.jpeg
KSO_CaK_6-9-23.jpeg (214.84 KiB) Viewed 159 times

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars
Orion 70mm Solar Telescope
Celestron AstroMaster Alt/Az Mount
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 60 DS
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 90 DS
Meade Coronado AZS Alt/Az Mount
Astro-Tech AT72EDII with Altair solar wedge
Celestron NexStar 102GT with Altair solar wedge
Losmandy AZ8 Alt/Az Mount
Sky-Watcher AZGTI Alt-Az GoTo mount
Cameras: ZWO ASI178MM, PGR Grasshopper, PGR Flea
Lunt, Coronado, TeleVue, Orion and Meade eyepieces

Image Visual Observer
" Way more fun to see it! "
MAURITS

Re: June 9 2023 Observations.

Post by MAURITS »

Great report James, thanks for sharing.

Regards,
Maurits

Vista del Cielo Observatory

www.vistadelcielo.be
DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

Thanks and you are welcome. 😊

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars
Lunt, Coronado, TeleVue, Orion and Meade eyepieces

Image Visual Observer
" Way more fun to see it! "
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

An hour well spent there James, thanks!

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

marktownley wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 7:19 am An hour well spent there James, thanks!
Thanks Mark! It was fun!

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars