I LOVE finding out about different ways to appreciate the Sun and light in general. Use this forum to post your info or questions about various outside the mainstream ways to appreciate our life giving star!
3 posts • Page 1 of 1
- Way More Fun to Share It!!
- Posts: 11891
- Joined: Sun May 01, 2016 8:26 pm
- Location: Portugal
- Has thanked: 14 times
- Been thanked: 6018 times
Solar imaging session (20231113) | Pedro RE'
Sol’Ex Spectroheliograph | FS60C F/5.9 | Star Adventurer GTi
IMAGING SETUPS (Star Adventurer GTi) | Polar Scope Align PRO
SUN (20231113) H-alpha (13:30 UTC). TAKAHASHI FS60C F/5.9, Sol'Ex, ZWO ASI174MM
- TV_NP127_20231113_ZWO ASI174MM_Ha_135821_spectral_line_data.png (663.17 KiB) Viewed 164 times
- TV_NP127_20231113_ZWO ASI174MM_Ha_135821_shift=10_ellipse_fit.png (540.02 KiB) Viewed 164 times
- TV_NP127_20231113_ZWO ASI174MM_Ha_135821_shift=0_transversalium_correction.png (149.26 KiB) Viewed 164 times
- TV_NP127_20231113_ZWO ASI174MM_Ha_135821_shift=0_protus.png (1.07 MiB) Viewed 164 times
- TV_NP127_20231113_ZWO ASI174MM_Ha_135821_shift=0_high_contrast.png (2.62 MiB) Viewed 164 times
- SOLEX_FC60C_20231113_Ha_mosaic.jpg (138.69 KiB) Viewed 164 times
- TV_NP127_20231113_ZWO ASI174MM_Ha_135821_20231113_protus_0_00.png (438.73 KiB) Viewed 164 times
- TV_NP127_20231113_ZWO ASI174MM_Ha_135821_20231113_negative_0_00.png (1.26 MiB) Viewed 164 times
- TV_NP127_20231113_ZWO ASI174MM_Ha_135821_20231113_mix_0_00.png (1.07 MiB) Viewed 164 times
- TV_NP127_20231113_ZWO ASI174MM_Ha_135821_20231113_disk_0_00.png (1.52 MiB) Viewed 164 times
- TV_NP127_20231113_ZWO ASI174MM_Ha_135821_20231113_colorized_0_00.png (1009.48 KiB) Viewed 164 times
- TV_NP127_20231113_ZWO ASI174MM_Ha_135821_20231113_clahe_0_00.png (1.54 MiB) Viewed 164 times
- TV_NP127_20231113_ZWO ASI174MM_Ha_135821_20231113_card_0_00.png (1.53 MiB) Viewed 164 times
- Almost There...
- Posts: 1021
- Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:13 pm
- Location: London, England
- Has thanked: 38 times
- Been thanked: 1432 times
Hi Pedro, I noticed in a different post you said you were struggling with the Solex. A minor improvement can be achieved with a camera with the slightly smaller pixels than the 174MM. It turns out the best camera sensor to use with the Solex is the IMX533 (which I think you have). The 178MM will actually oversample, which is why you see a lot of 2x2 binning with the 178MM and the Solex.
The most difficult thing to get right is the collimator focus. I think you are probably close but not quite perfect. I would actually take out the collimator and slit module and collimate it the old fashioned way. That means getting a camera and lens (or finderscope) that is focused at infinity. Point this towards the collimator lens and make sure the illuminated slit is sharply focused by adjusting the slit to collimator lens distance. I prefer to do this using a red filter so it is collimated for H-alpha.
Once it is all put together, you need to focus the camera so that the spectral lines are sharp. Then finally focus the telescope (the easiest is to make sure the limbs are sharp). I see that you have a fairly large piece of dust or dirt on the top part of your slit and a smaller piece right in the middle. Assuming that these are on the lithographically patterned slit side (which is almost impossible to clean in the Solex design), they should appear as sharp vertical lines, about as sharp as the horizontal spectral lines. In the transversalium correction graph, they will appear as sharp vertical peaks.
It's possible that the larger piece of dirt is on the glass side of the slit that faces the telescope -- that side can be cleaned. I actually wouldn't attempt to clean the lithographic slit side that is hidden inside the slit holder except by blowing with something like a Giottos Rocket air blower.
Last edited by thesmiths on Tue Nov 14, 2023 10:37 am, edited 7 times in total.
- Posts: 33761
- Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:25 pm
- Location: Cheshire, UK
- Has thanked: 16189 times
- Been thanked: 8234 times