Coronado BF30 rusted and repair

Frankenscope? Let's see it!***be advised that NOTHING in this forum has been safety tested and you are reading and using these posts at your own peril. blah, blah, blah... dont mess around with your eyesight when it comes to solar astronomy. Use appropriate filtration at all times...
rsfoto
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Coronado BF30 rusted and repair

Post by rsfoto »

¡WARNING! ¡NOT FOR VISUAL USE!

Hi,

The BF30 which I am using since long time got rusty many years ago and Iread here that instead of an ITF a H-alpha filter could be used. I had a 2" spare one, took it our of the mounting and glued it wih silicone at the front.

Now I found out the unmounted 2" filter fits into the 2" filter housing so I decided to print two washers and sandwich the H-Alpha filter inbetween. One washer has a bit of flocked paper so the H-alpha filter does not crack when tightening the ring.

BF_Ha_2.jpg
BF_Ha_2.jpg (105.18 KiB) Viewed 712 times
BF_Ha_1.jpg
BF_Ha_1.jpg (251.15 KiB) Viewed 712 times
BF_Ha_3.jpg
BF_Ha_3.jpg (216.18 KiB) Viewed 712 times
As I have two more I offered a friend if he wanted to try one and saw it was rusted too so I decided to use a 1.25 H-alpha filter instead of the rusted ITF and below the solution. I printed an adapter in the outer size of the ITF and inside a M28.5x0.6 thread.

BF_Ha_4.jpg
BF_Ha_4.jpg (199.36 KiB) Viewed 712 times
Last edited by rsfoto on Tue Jun 25, 2024 9:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.

regards Rainer

Observatorio Real de 14
San Luis Potosi Mexico

North 22° West 101°
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Re: Coronado BF30 rusted and repair

Post by marktownley »

Nice mod thanks Rainer

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
Bob Yoesle
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by Bob Yoesle »

Hi Rainer,

Just an important safety note for visual use that most of the newer H alpha filters by themselves are probably NOT a replacement for the ITF. The ITF is blocked from the deep UV to ~ 5000 nm to OD5.

Most dielectric filter coatings are only blocked out to ~1200 nm. It most certainly is not blocked out to > 3000 nm of the solar irradiance profile. For this you'd have to add a KG3 filter.

It would need to have OD5 blocking in the 300-790 nm range. Unless it is on a RG610 or RG630 substrate (like the ITF and older nighttime H alpha filters), it likely it is no more than OD4 in this range.

Bob

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Curiosity is the father of knowledge; uncertainty is the mother of wisdom.

Dark-Sky Defenders
Goldendale Observatory
rsfoto

Post by rsfoto »

Bob Yoesle wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:25 pm Hi Rainer,

Just an important safety note for visual use that most of the newer H alpha filters by themselves are probably NOT a replacement for the ITF. The ITF is blocked from the deep UV to ~ 5000 nm to OD5.

Most dielectric filter coatings are only blocked out to ~1200 nm. It most certainly is not blocked out to > 3000 nm of the solar irradiance profile. For this you'd have to add a KG3 filter.

It would need to have OD5 blocking in the 300-790 nm range. Unless it is on a RG610 or RG630 substrate (like the ITF and older nighttime H alpha filters), it likely it is no more than OD4 in this range.

Bob
Thanks Bob and yes I know that but I do NOT do any visual observing. Only imaging.

I just mofified my original posting and added a WARNING notice to it

regards Rainer

Observatorio Real de 14
San Luis Potosi Mexico

North 22° West 101°