Quark Full Disc Refractor

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
Rudi
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

Quark Full Disc Refractor

Post by Rudi »

I'm new to solar h-alpha, just got a Daystar Quark, Chromosphere version.

I own two refractors, an INED70 F420mm f/6 and a TS102ED f/7 refractor, which produces great solar images through the Quark.
Currently, I use my ASI1600MM pro for imaging, but are also seaching for a dedicated solar camera, but that can wait.

However, I would like to have a scope, that could give single-shot full disc images.

I had this TS50 f/3.6 lying in a box, and gave it a shot.
But the focuser mechanism is misserable, and only suited for a guide scope, where focusing is done once.

Here's a test shot I made.

An astro-friend proposed the following scopes.
https://www.teleskop-express.de/de/fern ... ptik-13750
https://www.teleskop-express.de/de/tele ... line-10095
https://www.teleskop-express.de/de/tele ... szug-17474

The second one gives a too tight FOV, so I'm most for the first or last one.
The focuser must be rigid and have a crayford or similar mechanish, that can have a focuser motot fitted eventually.

Any other recomendations will be appreciated.
(My budget isn't unlimited)

/Rudi
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Re: Quark Full Disc Refractor

Post by marktownley »

Welcome to the forum!

You could use a reducer with any of the above to increase the fov.

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
Rudi
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

Post by Rudi »

marktownley wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 5:36 am Welcome to the forum!

You could use a reducer with any of the above to increase the fov.
Yes, I also thought of that, considered a cheap omegon 0.5 reducer. But how will it affect the image quality?
The omegon reducer is cheap, so I guess, it is worth a try.

/Rudi
Rudi
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

Post by Rudi »

A friend on a Danish forum suggested the Sky-Watcher Evoguide.

I’ve done some calculations, and with that scope + Quark + ASI1600MM, the Sun will be ca 10 [mm] in diameter on the sensor. A convenient size and well below the Quarks limiting 22 mm aperture. Hmmm… Should I order it
Anyone here oh SolarChat! that has been using this scope for solar Quark imaging?

https://www.teleskop-express.de/en/tele ... cope-10411

/Rudi
LucaR
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

Post by LucaR »

I do use a TS102ED f/7 APO in front of my Daystar to get full disk, but not only :-)

Diaphragm 70mm => TS102ED f/7 APO => 0.75 reducer => IR/cut => telecentric barlow 3x => Daystar

I know its strange to have reducer + barlow, but the reducer is stuck and not removable anymore, so i had to do with it!

Final f/D on my Daystar is arround 23 (note: I've a combo version, means without integrated barlow, hence my external barlow).

=> With this, the full disk just fits in my APS-C size camera (2600mm).

I cant really compare with other instruments. Beware to have enough f/d on your daystar, its important to get good contrast. Hence the diaphragm I use: instead of having more F and not having full disk anymore, I prefer to have less D but keep the full disk. It leads to a bit less definition, but contrast is OK.

Example of picture taken with this setup : viewtopic.php?p=429160

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Rudi wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 8:35 pm A friend on a Danish forum suggested the Sky-Watcher Evoguide.

I’ve done some calculations, and with that scope + Quark + ASI1600MM, the Sun will be ca 10 [mm] in diameter on the sensor. A convenient size and well below the Quarks limiting 22 mm aperture. Hmmm… Should I order it
Anyone here oh SolarChat! that has been using this scope for solar Quark imaging?

https://www.teleskop-express.de/en/tele ... cope-10411

I don't think you will find many people using that for a full disk setup.

You are going to have very limited contrast and features with a donor ota <f5

Personally I would go with the 60mm f6 and a reducer on the camera if you must go this route, go for the best focuser to avoid sag. Sampling isn't great with a small pixel camera like the 1600, quarks are designed for high focal ratio imaging with a large pixel size camera not full disks.

Have a search on the forum, the 'full disk quark' scenario comes up quite often.

Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
DeepSolar64
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Post by DeepSolar64 »

Maybe an AT72EDII from Astronomics? I have one of these and it does great full discs on white light, Gband and K-Line. I use a ZWO ASI178MM camera and I get full discs.

https://www.astronomics.com/astro-tech- ... 3-f-6.html

James

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars
Orion 70mm Solar Telescope
Celestron AstroMaster Alt/Az Mount
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 60 DS
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 90 DS
Meade Coronado AZS Alt/Az Mount
Astro-Tech AT72EDII with Altair solar wedge
Celestron NexStar 102GT with Altair solar wedge
Losmandy AZ8 Alt/Az Mount
Sky-Watcher AZGTI Alt-Az GoTo mount
Cameras: ZWO ASI178MM, PGR Grasshopper, PGR Flea
Lunt, Coronado, TeleVue, Orion and Meade eyepieces

Image Visual Observer
" Way more fun to see it! "
Rudi
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

Post by Rudi »

marktownley wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 10:59 pm I don't think you will find many people using that for a full disk setup.

You are going to have very limited contrast and features with a donor ota <f5

Sampling isn't great with a small pixel camera like the 1600, quarks are designed for high focal ratio imaging with a large pixel size camera not full disks.

Have a search on the forum, the 'full disk quark' scenario comes up quite often.
Focuser sag is definetly an issue. I could easily feel that with my TS50 guidescope, where there is a lot of play in the focuser.
And yes, I have indeed searhed SolarChat! and found a lot of interesting posts abut 'full disk quark'.
marktownley wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 10:59 pm Personally I would go with the 60mm f6 and a reducer on the camera if you must go this route, go for the best focuser to avoid sag.
I've been using my INED70, F420mm f/6, which has a good sturdy crayford focuser.
With a 0.5 reducer, it would give a FOV very similar to the Evoguide.
I could give it a go, with a cheap (~ € 40) 0.5x Omegon reducer in front of the camera?

/Rudi
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

I think it's a case of try it and see.

Just remember Quarks aren't designed for full disks, and unless you have a good one, any issues with it will be exagerated by using a reducer full disk.

Rudi
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

Post by Rudi »

I bought my Quark from Teleskop-Service, and they always check the Quarks before shipping.
I have been observing visually in it, and my humble opinion is that it seems to one of the good ones, but I will need one of my astro friends to verift that ;-)

A lot to consider... The reason that I would like a full disk, is that I would like to be able to make full disk images relatively easy, without a lot of mosaic panels. Ideally, with a full disk scope, only three video sequences are needed; flat, chromosphere and protuburences.

Also, I do not have an unlimited budget, if so, I would go for the triplet in my first post. I have asked a local dealer for a good price on the Evostar, and I think I'll give that one a go if the price is right ;-)

/Rudi
MAURITS

Post by MAURITS »

Welcome Rudi.

Regards,
Maurits

Vista del Cielo Observatory

www.vistadelcielo.be
LucaR
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

Post by LucaR »

Rudi wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 6:06 am Ideally, with a full disk scope, only three video sequences are needed; flat, chromosphere and protuburences.
Actually the third is not necessary, the information is already in the second one. With good tools (such as IMPPG) you can reveal the prominences pretty well, and avoid to do a composite process. I dont take prominances specific videos anymore.

Rudi
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

Post by Rudi »

Thanks for the tip @LocaR! Yes, I "accidently" found out, that if stretched enough, my chromosphere picture also showed prominences. But on my recordings, not as many details as on the long exposure prominence recordings.
I'll give it a go next time ;-)

In the mean time, I have been searching and searching, and really, the best suited full disc refractor to cover my needs, is the Sky-Watcher EvoGuide. So now, I'm very close to order one, that I can enjoy using this summer.

/Rudi
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Rudi wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 3:08 am In the mean time, I have been searching and searching, and really, the best suited full disc refractor to cover my needs, is the Sky-Watcher EvoGuide. So now, I'm very close to order one, that I can enjoy using this summer.
Why do you think it is best suited? A f4.8 recfractor with a quark is going to give a very washed out view.

Rudi
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

Post by Rudi »

The focal length, the focuser and the price ;-)
I'm targeting a size on the sensor arround 10 mm, which means F~240mm.

If f4.8 becoms an issue, I'll make a cap to step down the aperture.

/Rudi
Rudi
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

Post by Rudi »

The refractor came yesterday, is is well built, all metal, and the focuser seems very rigid and without play in any direction.

Even though there are a few clouds and a thin mist layer, I have had first light. The FOV is a perfect match.

First light:

And first protuberances light

Next up is visual testing

/Rudi
Rudi
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

Post by Rudi »

The Sun is now high enough, that I can observe at the east side of the meridian. Then I can sit conveniently in front of my PC and easily reach the Quark tune knob and telescope focuser.

There's about 1/4 turn backlash in the focuser, but no noticable play, if I carefully pull/push the focuser along the optical axis. And no play either perpendicular on the optical axis.
So far, I am super pleased with the new full-disk telescope :-P

/Rudi