NASA Outreach to be cancelled due to sequester.

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
wkyee
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

NASA Outreach to be cancelled due to sequester.

Post by wkyee »

Dr. Willie Yee

President, Mid-Hudson Astronomical Association
Commander, Prius-class shuttlecraft Zhang Heng
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Re: NASA Outreach to be cancelled due to sequester.

Post by marktownley »

That's bad :(

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

Beyond words!!

All I can say is, isn't it about time the banks pay us back (as they seem to have forgotten we loaned them cash when they were going bankrupt), perhaps they could pay for NASA outreach out of all their profits.

Alexandra

solarchat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by solarchat »

http://nasawatch.com/archives/2013/03/n ... ls-al.html

looks like they have the same knuckleheads at NASA as they do at my unnamed federal agency. Cut the most visible and helpful to the public programs to make a statement about your budget woes while the actually wasteful, endlessly funded "special programs" and super perks for the select few go on untouched.

Unfortunately, this, coupled with the recent withdrawal of my largest sponsor-also due to sequestration, my own personal federal government job furlough, pretty much spells the end for the Charlie Bates Solar Astronomy Project if it actually continues. I have 3 months worth of glasses left, Im already out of NASA materials, and about 6 months worth of general transportation funding to continue the program. After that, if something doesn't change, its over. Yeah Congress! Way to advance the common good. What next? cutoff our electricity and water?

Stephen W. Ramsden
Atlanta, GA USA
Founder/Director Charlie Bates Solar Astronomy Project
http://www.solarastronomy.org
stets
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by stets »

Stephen,

The Charlie Bates Solar Astronomy Outreach may be more important to kids than ever.

Below is a story about a natural history museum in Maine and its outreach program. The L.C. Bates museum ( a relative?) received solar glasses from you for the Transit of Venus. Enthusiasm about the transit led to an astronomy summer camp. Astronomy is now a regular part of a the museum's outreach to 18,000 students each year. Recently the museum had added a new solar observatory. The plan is to have it open to the public each clear-weather day from 11AM to 1PM.

stets
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by stets »

Stephen,

These are the astronomy campers at the museum that you are inspiring.

solarchat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by solarchat »

Hey man,

I just finished answering a similar email from my buddy Dave Snay...I wrote.

Thanks so much for always taking the time to write such kind words. Although the former me would love to take credit for this, the current me has realized that this social animal that wants to selflessly help other people is inside all of us, raring to get out. A lot of things keep it from surfacing in most people like inability to trust, fear, political / religious opinions, astro club politics, self absorption, the hoarding of material possessions, etc… It’s hard to explain to someone that is caught up in these things how extraordinary the payback is for completely anonymous “good deedery” or giving up something you think is so important (money, free time) strictly for the benefit of others and the community. (starting to understand my refusal to copyright or sell anything?)

You wouldn’t believe some of the extremes of self-absorption and “what’s in it for me’ism” that I deal with privately through the solar club. I can’t tell you how many times I have been let down by some people who see my generosity and willingness to help others as a gullible hillbilly, ripe for manipulation. [removed] I just let them go through the motions of take, take, take until they either hit the predetermined boundary that my wife forced on me, or they realize the good that this kind of thing can bring to their lives and others and start giving back. Its really a fantastically complicated expose’ of human nature. I just play dumb.  so far the good turnarounds have outnumbered the selfish aholes about 3 to 1. 
It’s the little things like what you have written about that make the whole thing worth it.

Stephen W. Ramsden
Atlanta, GA USA
solarchat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by solarchat »

Ill add,
I really feel fortunate that I fully understand that what I bring to "me" above a certain level is pretty much irrelevant. A lot of people seem to think that they are going to live forever and are endlessly hoarding more and more stuff for themselves for when "they get older" . Then all of a sudden, they wake up one day and realize they have everything but no more life to enjoy it, and then they are dead. I'm not familiar with any way to transfer my assets to the "first national bank of Heaven"...so, what is the obsession with having more stuff than you need to live comfortably while others in the prime of their lives are dying of hunger and disease? I know I am extreme, but I just don't get it.

Stephen W. Ramsden
Atlanta, GA USA
wkyee
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by wkyee »

http://nasawatch.com/archives/2013/03/n ... ls-al.html

Unfortunately, this, coupled with the recent withdrawal of my largest sponsor-also due to sequestration, my own personal federal government job furlough, pretty much spells the end for the Charlie Bates Solar Astronomy Project if it actually continues.

Steve,

I hope that this does not happen, but remember that the CBSAP also consists of a lot of us around the world who intend to carry on without NASA's support if neccessary. Hopefully, you will at least be able to keep Solar Chat open, so we can continue to network and support each other.

And you still da man.

Dr. Willie Yee

wkyee
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by wkyee »

There is a petition to repeal this stoopidity: https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petiti ... s/kY7Tw85q

Dr. Willie Yee

astrodanco
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by astrodanco »

So where's the petition to the congressional obstructionists?

wkyee
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by wkyee »

So where's the petition to the congressional obstructionists?
Start one. i'll sign it.

Dr. Willie Yee

solarchat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by solarchat »

no politics on the forum please...

Things are stable now, like I said I have a 3-6 month reserve of glasses and my own money to keep everything going. I choose long ago to greatly reduce what would have been a very comfortable retirement to encourage more science in the community. I will take a modest income in retirement and a working, perhaps scaled down, STEM nonprofit any day over sitting around with a bunch of "stuff" in my old age. Of course, having no kids to support makes this a lot easier. You really cant take it with you and a lot of these money and stuff hoarding types really perplex me. :)

No need to panic yet, but if this goes on through the Summer, then we will have to reevaluate...

For now, it is just going to cease the $15k per year of extra goodies given away to others. The last thing that I will cut is my own visits to schools.

I hope you guys can get it going on the NASA NSN reports as this is the best way that I can show that we are making a difference and perhaps gain a sponsor for the glasses. Ordering the 50,000 glasses every 4 months or so costs just under $10,000.00 US each time and that is the first big hurdle that we have to overcome to keep things going in the manner we have become accustomed. The deadline to work out a new glasses sponsor is going to be around July 1st. Anyone who has any ideas on this, please speak up.

Of course, if all 513 members of this free forum just decided that they were going to give $20 US twice a year, we could get rid of all the sponsor garbage from the glasses and replace it with the SolarChat logo and pay for all the glasses ourselves. I realize that in this day and age it would be impossible to get every member of this forum to donate $20 but it would be an ideal thing if we could, wouldn't it? Imagine the pride we could all have if we bucked the system and overcame all the political BS going on right now and just paid for this ourselves? I know, Im a dreamer...

Stephen W. Ramsden
Atlanta, GA USA
swisswalter
Way More Fun to Share It!!
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Post by swisswalter »

Hi Stephen

I'm in with the project solar chat glasses :)

Only stardust in the wind, some fine and some less fine scopes, filters and adapters as well. Switzerland 47 N, 9 E, in the heart of EUROPE :)

from 7 am - 7 pm http://www.nanosys.ch

from 7.01 pm - 6.59 am http://www.wastronomiko.com some times vice versa ;)